Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Opera 6.04

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Other

Votes: 5 20.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Snowy Commando

I just recently discovered Netscape 7 Preview Release and think its great compared to IE6.

Another thing I noticed was that IE6 has stopped working on some secure e-commerce sites (despite reinstalling/resetting default options) thus can't buy anything whereas Netscape and Opera are fine.

If Netscape works on these sites that IE6 has stopped working (unless I reinstall Windows or something) on then it just gives me more of a reason to not use IE6.

UMM, well, I use IE6, Netscape 6, Opera 4 (in BE), Opera 6 (in XP) netpositive......

I could go on, but IE is my main browser at the moment

I use a really highly tweaked version of IE5. I'm working on doing the same thing to IE6, and probably will have it done in a few weeks :D

Mozilla 1.0 would be nice but for the extent of my browser use it doesn't seem worth installing it (again) ;)

Originally posted by Spliffmeister
I use IE6, I didn't even realise there were other browsers ;).

Thats true for most home non-technical family users and another example of Micro$oft doing its job of making the end-user feel as though IE6 is their only choice of browser.

Its only the more technical expert users like myself who even bother to explore the possibilities of using alternative browsers and OS's like Linux which means I do have a choice.

Its a viscious circle, even when I try alternative browsers/OS's, l still find myself drifting back over to Micro$oft's ones because you were already comfortable with them for the most part despite wanting something "different".

Originally posted by Spliffmeister
snowy, I hope you realised but I was joking. Hence the ;). :grinthumb

Oh well, i kinda knew you were being sarcastic, i thought I would still voice my opinions about Micro$oft as it was relevant to this topic of browsers.

Now for some IE Trivia:

What does IE 4, 5 and 6 share in common?

They all have no significant changes to the interface (in my opinion anyway :p). Hmm...IE6 Media Bar - who uses it? :dead:

Yes the interface changes between the last 3 major IE releases have been minimal. But a lot has changed behind the scenes. Especially between IE 4 & 5. I'm talking about web standards compliance and support of new technologies.

The browser makers have been doing a good job in moving towards standards compliance, that includes MS.

Clueless in California, here. :confused:

IE is disabled & Sygate Firewall locked from connecting & I use my ISP (Earthlink) supplied browser. :cool:

Best I can tell, its: Earthlink Web Browser 5.07.97

IE Blocked in firewall (only used when using windowsupdate.com)

Opera 6.03
NS 4.79 / NS 4.78 (depending on 'puter)...
IE 5.5 something.... (don't bother updating it, as it's not allowed to do anything)

I was going to install NS 6 and 7, but don't have a net connection on my main machine, and I don't want to do anything to this 'puter... (2 browsers is enough on it)

I downloaded Mozilla, but never got around to installing it before moving out... :-/

Opera

What do you folks think of Opera's browser? Does it have any features that, in your opinion, are better than IE or Netscape? I've tried Opera in the past, but went back to IE 6 after upgrading to Win XP.

The thing I like about Opera 6.04 is that it deals with multiple browser windows using "Tabs". It also has built-in popup controls to keep them opening in the background and not in your face.

Just wanted to dig up this old thread again...

You guys can now change my vote from IE to Opera 6.05, I've come to like this browser really much...

Highly recommended, it's faster, more stable and looks better than IE...

Donwload Opera 6.05

Originally posted by Per Hansson
You guys can now change my vote from IE to Opera 6.05, I've come to like this browser really much...
Changed... you could have changed it youself you know ;)

Pheonix at work (some sort of Mozilla variant) and Mozilla for BeOS at home... and IE on my laptop, as i couldn't be bothered moving the Mozilla files off my other PC

oh, and Mosaic when i feel like pretending the net is as it was in 1993.... seriously, i have it installed!

Back