What died?

Zilliak

So i was playing WoW and i was on skype, then a distorted picture appears with colors everywhere and i received a blue screen. I cut it back on and it works and then i try to load WoW again and it does the same thing. I turn it off and now i get no picture. I took out the graphics card and reset the CMOS and i still get black.

Did my motherboard die? or graphics card... WHAT HAPPENED!
Im seriously stumped.

well i did no post on motherboard when i reset cmos either i think its the mobo. :( even though all the led's come on and fans i get no post.... so motherboard?

No post at all? Then you're probably right Zilliak, the motherboard have probably died on you...

Fans coming on and LED's flashing is common on ruptured motherboards. Actually, more or less all shortened and "elderly-broken" motherboards I've seen, still had working fan-pins and LED's.

(Good that you posted a second link; the first one didn't work)

Now, the MSI 790XT-G45 is a motherboard with a good bang for the buck-ratio. If I would have the money to spare, this would definently be interesting. It allows great CPU's, a lot of RAM and even CrossfireX should you want it.

However I'm a bit concerned over the CPU-power inlets; there is only one P4-plug... hmm. I don't know about you, but this would set overclocking enthusiasts back a little, but as a regular gamer, this doesn't affect much at all. It is a good board, no doubt about that.

Keep in mind though that there is a common cyberphrase: MSI likes to die, and it takes everything down with it.
I've never experienced troubles with MSI though, so I would not worry :) .

well i use the 550 be x2 and unlock it to a quad should the 4 pin be problem? and i heard that msi is on par with asus and gigabyte. BTW my motherboard that just died was a gigabyte.... :( 2nd time for that board too.

i heard that msi is on par with asus and gigabyte.
Gigabyte's tend to pop rather early in comparison with other motherboards; the hardware on the boards, capacitors, conductor-limitors and so on; they stink :mad: . That's why they're cheap, I guess. As for Asus, I've never ever heard of an Asus mobo going bad to be honest, but I guess it's just as easy as always to ruin dreams, haha :haha: .

As for the unlocked cores, I personally don't think there will be any trouble using the mere P4, AMD's are power-efficient. Just to be sure, I'll ask the local tech guru and hear him on what he says. He won't wake up until another 10 hours though...

[Edit:]
By they way, sorry about your loss.

Thanks dude, the funeral is on saturday. your welcome to come haha i think when the new amd apu's come out i will be getting a new mobo from asus and some ddr3 or ddr4 haha.

Back