Votes: 6 37.5%
  • Kodak

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Nikon

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Olympus

Votes: 3 18.8%

• Total voters
I have a Nikon CoolPix 3100 with 3.1 MegaPixels. (Lithium-ion rechargeable battery or 2 AA -can be rechargeable- batteries)
Great for the type of amateur point-and-shoot stuff I do.
Basically I use that camera for making pictures that go onto my customers' websites.
The flash on it is a bit weak, but with a spot or 2 extra, the quality of the photos is great.
Extremely compact and light, it has a raft of scene modes to choose from, as well as automatic mode. It uses the cheap CompactFlash memory cards.
The newer 3200 is pict-bridge compatible (mine is not) meaning you can connect the camera to a pict-bridge printer and print photos straight off the camera (but you are waisting the camera's battery power).
Why anyone wants to do that is a mystery to me. Most pictures you want to look at first (e.g. on a PC), maybe make some corrections and only then do you print.
So all you need is a USB2 cardreader for your camera's card.
In the same Nikon modelrange, currently the CoolPix 5200 is topdog. (Lithium-ion rechargeable battery)

If you want wide-angle, look at the Olympus Camedia C-5060 (5PM), expensive though. (Lithium-ion rechargeable battery)

If I had to start again today, I would opt for the Canon Powershot A85 (4MP), I think this is the ideal first digital camera. Runs off 4 AA batteries.

Most important is not the amount of megapixels (3MP is more than enough for everyday shooting), but the size of the sensor. Look for 1/1.8 inch. This is a larger sensor than e.g. 1/2.5 inch (remember they are fractions of an inch).
Also important are fast startup time and small shutter lag.
Look for optical zoom rather than digital zoom.

realblackstuff said:
I have a Nikon CoolPix 3100 with 3.1 MegaPixels. (Lithium-ion rechargeable battery or 2 AA -can be rechargeable- batteries)
Great for the type of amateur point-and-shoot stuff I do.
Basically I use that camera for making pictures that go onto my customers' websites.
The flash on it is a bit weak, but with a spot or 2 extra, the quality of the photos is great.
Extremely compact and light, it has a raft of scene modes to choose from, as well as automatic mode. It uses the cheap CompactFlash memory cards.
The newer 3200 is pict-bridge compatible (mine is not) meaning you can connect the camera to a pict-bridge printer and print photos straight off the camera (but you are waisting the camera's battery power).
Why anyone wants to do that is a mystery to me. Most pictures you want to look at first (e.g. on a PC), maybe make some corrections and only then do you print.
So all you need is a USB2 cardreader for your camera's card.
In the same Nikon modelrange, currently the CoolPix 5200 is topdog. (Lithium-ion rechargeable battery)

If you want wide-angle, look at the Olympus Camedia C-5060 (5PM), expensive though. (Lithium-ion rechargeable battery)

If I had to start again today, I would opt for the Canon Powershot A85 (4MP), I think this is the ideal first digital camera. Runs off 4 AA batteries.

Most important is not the amount of megapixels (3MP is more than enough for everyday shooting), but the size of the sensor. Look for 1/1.8 inch. This is a larger sensor than e.g. 1/2.5 inch (remember they are fractions of an inch).
Also important are fast startup time and small shutter lag.
Look for optical zoom rather than digital zoom.

Thanks man

I've always used Minolta. I fell in love with their size and features. I currently have a s414. It takes wonderful pictures.

I've got a Nikon Coolpix 5400 that I did lots and lots of research on before I bought. I absolutely love this camera and did several online and real life comparisons with other 5-6 MP cameras. The guys at Ritz Camera were very helpful and let me play with all the 5 MP cameras they had and each associate even gave me their personal preferences. After a month or so of research I decided on this one and it's great. The only thing that would've been better is an SLR - but that was a bit outside of the price range I was shooting for with the features I wanted.

Minolta user here too, but my next digital camera will be most likely Pentax Optio 33WR or 43WR. Because WR = water resistant.

Been a Canon fan for 20+ years myself. lncPapa those Ritz guys are some of the best...been dealing with the same store over 10 years.

patio. :cool:

patio said:
Been a Canon fan for 20+ years myself. lncPapa those Ritz guys are some of the best...been dealing with the same store over 10 years.

patio. :cool:
YA I'm planing on getting a canon

We currently have a great olympus stylus 410, 4mp it takes great photos. Still got the trusty Canon 35mmfilm SLR though, 13 years old & never a problem.

I have a Kodak, the cheap battery door broke and I had to fix it with superglue and duct tape. Other than that it runs great.

I am a big fan of Fuji Finepix. Always used them and never had a problem. They are easy to use and the cameras are moderatley priced.

Filard said:
I am a big fan of Fuji Finepix. Always used them and never had a problem. They are easy to use and the cameras are moderatley priced.

After years of being an avid slr man. I have just made the switch to serious digital photography.

I have only just got the Finepix S7000 and I think it`s totally amazing.

I particularly like the super macro mode, with it`s ability to focus down to 1cm, as I am into insect photography.

My biggest complaint would have to be the 16mb xd xard that comes with the camera. I found it to be less than useful. I`ve just bought a 512mb xd card and everythings great.

Regards Howard :) :)

howard_hopkinso said:
After years of being an avid slr man. I have just made the switch to serious digital photography.

I have only just got the Finepix S7000 and I think it`s totally amazing.

I particularly like the super macro mode, with it`s ability to focus down to 1cm, as I am into insect photography.

My biggest complaint would have to be the 16mb xd xard that comes with the camera. I found it to be less than useful. I`ve just bought a 512mb xd card and everythings great.

I totally agree about the card they give with it, but as you said the features more than make up for it. Whenever I want to just take random candid pictures I use my 1.3 pixel that I bought like 3 years ago. I'm not sure if I am partial to Fuji but I think it takes better pictures than higher res. cameras I have seen.

Dad has a Fuji S3000, very hard to take good photos with because the stupid thing is so slow the slighest movement over the course of 2 seconds (at least) screws the photo. Our Olympus Stylus 410 is much better, but could be better again, easily. WANT DIGiC2!!!

I don`t know much about the S3000, but if it`s got that kind of lag, then clearly that would be a problem.

The S7000 that I have does not suffer from any kind of lag. I am able to take multiple shots via the continuous shooting mode at a rate of between 3 to 5 fps. Obviously depending on condititons.

The video recording mode is also very good giving 30 fps.

Maybe your father might want to take a look at the specs for a S7000.

http://www.dcviews.com/_fuji/s7k.htm

Kodak

A few years ago I got my 1st digital camera, it was a kodak. Today, compared to what cameras can do, it isn't the best on the market, but at the time it was. It was a great camera, and Kodak's Customer Support is the best I have ever dealt with. I dropped my camera numerous times (including in water) and it still worked, until one day It took a bad drop and stopped working. I sent it back, and in a week, a courier was knocking on my door with a brand new camera, and some fancy Kodak batteries that lasted a long time.

Back