What Do You Use To Protect Your PC?

Well...what odd or practical methods do you use to keep your pc quick and virus-free?

My mom's PC has McAfee Internet Security Installed on it, best for people who don't know what they're doing, as the program does all the work.

I have an Old AT System Running IPCOP on it for network security. It's really old, but it has 256MB of PC100 and an AMD K6-3 500MHz.

My PC has Spybot S & D TeaTimer running in the background to notify me of any registry changes or startup changes, also to protect my pc when using embedded ie browsers in programs like Gamespy. AVG 8.0 is running in the background too, it does a scan every day at 3 P.M.

I would swap AVG for Avast! Free as it scans all email and every browser click to proactively protect you - - file scanning is reactive (find what has been infected).

Last edited by a moderator:
On my W10 I have & use MalwareBytes, Sophos Virus Removal Tool, Eset online scanner, RogueKiller, Junk removal tool, SuperAntiSpyware (SAS), SpywareBlaster, Windows Defender & other programs. :)

Eset smart security 10, system mechanic 17, MalwareBytes 3, if any of those fail which is very rarely.
I'll let windows defender automatically kick on to handle till I get to it.

Hey here is my security solution: Bitdefender Total Security 2018+Zemana Anti-Malware(paid)+HitmanPro+HitmanPro Alert+Voodooshield Pro+Adwarecleaner sometimes.

For keeping it quick, regular use of chkdsk on the command prompt plus defragmenting or TRIM if it is an SSD
occasionally an sfc /scannow if the device starts acting badly
take out the trash and keep programs/bios/mobo drivers updated

For keeping it quick, regular use of chkdsk on the command prompt plus defragmenting or TRIM if it is an SSD
occasionally an sfc /scannow if the device starts acting badly
take out the trash and keep programs/bios/mobo drivers updated
If its W10, no need to defrag. I haven't defragged mine since it does it itsself. JMHO :)

I think you missed the point on the last half of his post, I can understand him doing that if he writes alot to his ssd during a week period.
https://www.howtogeek.com/257196/ho...nabled-for-your-ssd-and-enable-it-if-it-isnt/
The system mechanic I mentioned it does a better job at defragmenting then windows 10.
Also its better fixing up issues in the middle of the night or when I am not home.
Ok, I'm not talking about SSD cause I know nothing about them. I was told in this forum there is no need to defrag since W10 does it already. I've also heard negative things about system mechanic. Its your pc, do as you see fit :)

From my stand point, that is the wrong question. I protect my PC by keeping everyone else off of it.
that's a great idea, I also have a passworded account on my own home computer and turn it off while I leave the apartment as well I don't know how much it helps (not a tech guy), but my hardware is recent enough I can do a secure boot which I'm told protects the UEFI to Windows startup handoff

From my stand point, that is the wrong question. I protect my PC by keeping everyone else off of it.
MUCH to be said for this approach. I have a CPA friend that is constantly getting into trouble from family users.
IMO, the business <> personal use and the family needs their own PC to muck-up.

Hi. I use Malwarebytes and Windows Defender in real time. I also have a Netgear modem.
I use Adblock Plus and WOT. I have never been infected. You have to be a safe surfer because there's no software that's 100%
I hope no one here is using Kaspersky. LOL

I've been a long time user of ESET NOD32 anti-virus but I've recently switched to BitDefender as I thought them to be better value for money and their anti-virus products seem to consistently score higher than NOD32 in tests while also being cheaper. So far I'm quite happy with it. I also use Malwarebytes and a well configured firewall between my switch and the router/modem.

The two things I use are
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ublock-origin/cjpalhdlnbpafiamejdnhcphjbkeiagm
and
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/pop-up-blocker-for-chrome/bkkbcggnhapdmkeljlodobbkopceiche

I usually have MSE installed but really if you block at the brower there's really not much need for anything else. provided you're not downloading things you shouldn't be and clicking accept on everything in the installer.

I have McAfee and Norton on my high threat list of things you should avoid at all cost. Both are so intrusive that it's actually more harmful to my day to day tasks than actually having malware installed.

I do like pretty much if not everything "learninmypc" has listed. I never actually need them on my own rigs, but when I work on someone else's computer they come in very handy. I notice with the people I constantly would have to give support to, after installing the top two things I have listed here and configuring the first one with pretty much every filter, I never hear back from those people. At least not for the same related problems, now they just tend to ask about upgrades or what I think about specific hardware.

The advantage of browser blocking is far greater than any "anti" program you would ever install. I have a friend that only has those two installed with no mal/anti installed, once a year I do install multiple scanning tools and have noticed zero threats. she's not the best when it comes to protecting herself online but this has completely eliminated any issues she has ever had.

this isn't to say you shouldn't have anti/mal software removers, just that you don't need to go crazy with them.
email scanning is useless honestly. There's not a single email host that doesn't do scanning these days, even if you run your own webserver it's built in.

antivirus with firewall is a redundancy that again isn't needed, usually just causes more issues where windows and even linux have "in my experience" far better firewalls built in.

"McAfee and Norton on my high threat list of things you should avoid at all cost."
I totally agree with the above. I'm going to give you a like. LOL

I would like to add one more to avoid to McAfee and Norton, and that's Kasparsky. No need for me to explain why I recommend avoiding Kasparsky. Sorry! I tell it like I see it.
Just watch the 24/7 news

Hi Seriously I don't remember If I had the option to edit my reply. I agree that's what I should have done .
Thanks for your reply.
Here's a edit to this reply. This is a great help forum. I'm having a great time here. This is what help forums should be. LOL
PS I was not given the reason why I edited my reply. LOL

Last edited:
I'm not here to cause trouble. I'm here to learn and pass forward things I have learned from other help forums .
What you see is what you get. I only know how to be myself.

On my W10 I have & use MalwareBytes, Sophos Virus Removal Tool, Eset online scanner, RogueKiller, Junk removal tool, SuperAntiSpyware (SAS), SpywareBlaster, Windows Defender & other programs. :)
Your PC has a chastity belt, nothing's going through that ****. I have Windows Defender by default and don't use anything else. Been like that for years now and I'm satisfied now more than before with Avast. These antiviruses always screw things up for me in the long term.

Your PC has a chastity belt, nothing's going through that ****. I have Windows Defender by default and don't use anything else.
Hmm; That is BLIND FAITH IMO.

1. no single AV catches every thing
  2. Defender is a Reactive as apposed to Proactive tool, so anything goes thru, infects and you then react to the problems created.
I'v been running Avast! Free since XP for it's Proactive stance on infections - - stop them BEFORE they infect the programs and files. Avast scans all emails and webpage clicks to ensure I don't download a virus. Defender has never done that.

I have several tools loaded, including Defender, but I ensure ONLY Avast is the active scanner - - all the others require manual invocation - - but hey - - this is my choice and it may not be yours.

Back