What exactly is an LRAND?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agent Ify

Alrighty guys,

Last October I purchased a new processor for my computer. I had a 2.4 Northwood Pentium 4 478 and I upgraded it to a 3.4 Prescott Pentium 4 478. My first issue was that my old Northwood fan was not powerful enough to cool my new prescott so I got it a new fan. No big deal.

About a week or so later I began to see random crashes in my games, but they were only every two hours or so (I play a lot of World of Warcraft). As time progressed I got crashes more and more untill it became annoying. Depending on the game depends on whither or not I get these random crashes (That have to do with file corrupt or memory problems)

I recently purchased the game Hitman:Blood Money and started to play it. I would get my random crash every five minutes rendering the game pretty much impossible so I began to research my troubles.

I did the windows memory diognostic all day yesterday and it came up to say that my LRAND was bad. Now It didnt say my LRAND was bad untill after about two hours of it being on.(same thing happens for WOW) I also ran the test on one of my sticks and found that its LRAND was bad, and I am in process of testing my other stick as I type this but I have a feeling it will come back bad as well.

Do you think my new processor is causing heat issues for the rest of my componants? When I got my new fan which cooled down my processor wonderfully I think it may have put all that excess heat into my case making my other parts hot. Do you think this may be a problem with my FSB? It is right next to my processor and all that is cooling it is a heatsink. It could also be my memory overheating because they dont have heatsinks (not fast enough to need it)

I hope you guys can figure it out because my brain hurts.

Thanks,
Ify

LRAND is a pseudo-random numbers generation from a lognormal distribution, in mathmatical terms.
It is used in some types of memory test runs. Lrand generates random numbers that are drawn from a set with a lognormal probability distribution. The sequence of numbers generated by lrand has a period that is essentially infinite. Also, there are no sensible sequential correlations.
Examples: lrand = random number with a mean of 1 and a standard deviation of 1

If you are running memory tests and get an error that includes LRAND in the description, it means the test failed this distribution scheme... so the memory is bad.

You may get it to work if you lower the memory speed. It's probably set faster than with Northwood CPU because of (possibly) faster CPU bus speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back