What is your all time favorite TV show and why?

Either family guy or mythbusters.

Family guy for its tongue in cheek humour, Mythbusters for the science!

Firefly... even though the idea of the show sounded incredibly dumb to me and I didn't watch it when it aired on TV. I, along with most people since the show didn't even last one season, did not find the idea interesting at all. A very smart friend of mine handed me the box set and said, "Just watch it." It's my favorite series of all time followed by a few of the HBO/Showtime series like Dexter/True Blood/etc.

I think this is an impossible question to answer. Well perhaps not impossible to answer, but too difficult to answer without some real thought. Perhaps it should have been broken down into genres first?

Animated: Futurama
Drama: dunno, depends how we define drama vs others, maybe Jericho? or Dexter, Dexter is better, but depends what we classifiy Dexter as.
Sci-Fi: Firefly, I think
Fantasy: Legend of the Seeker?

Its a bit late for me to think of more, but I'm sure I have a lot more in mind, just haven't been spurred yet.

My top three:

Series: Stargate SG-1.
Reason: I was really into shooters when I was younger, had aspirations to join the military, and always wondered what may exist outside of our little corner of the universe. Both SG-1 the series and the movie were able to hit all three of those notes for me. Plus, I really enjoyed R.D. Anderson's rendition of Jack O'Neill.

Series: Frasier.
Reason: Plenty of simple humor and cultural jabs.

Series: The Walking Dead.
Reason: I find it to be one of the more believable zombie-themed post-apocalyptic series out there. It's also one of the few popular series (that I know of) that's filmed here in Atlanta, so I guess there's a little hometown pride involved as well.

My top three:
Series: Frasier.
Reason: Plenty of simple humor and cultural jabs.

Haha! I loved this show, too. I just loved how the cast gelled and how their timing got better and better with each season. The humor was simple, yes, but very funny and cleverly written. I didn't watch much of it while it was still airing, but I did get a complete box set later on.

Family Guy just never gets old, I just hope they continue to make it because the spinoffs kinda suck.

Total Wipeout is hilarious when I feel like watching something which I don't have to concentrate on.

Hii guys my favourite show is Mr.Bean and the character of this serial makes me laugh all the time thats why I like this show very much, its prettly good to watch in leisure time to suit yourself with this show.

I agree with the OP, the Sopranos was outstanding and my DVD box set gets plenty of viewings.
For laughs I watch The Big Bang Theory, Two Broke Girls or Don't Trust The B***h in Apartment 23.
Apart from that anything Manga or Anime,science fiction films or Ice Road Truckers.
Horror films too, things like Final Destination,Saw or any of the classic Hammer Horror Films which
truly scared me when they were first released in the early 1970's.
The best film I have seen to date is the remake of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo with Daniel Craig.

Haha! I loved this show, too. I just loved how the cast gelled and how their timing got better and better with each season. The humor was simple, yes, but very funny and cleverly written. I didn't watch much of it while it was still airing, but I did get a complete box set later on.

That's one of my favorite aspects of the series. I can't recall a more consistent or cohesive group from the 80s or 90s. I didn't watch the show while it was airing either (I was a little kid in the 90s... Cartoons were king), but I started watching the reairs over the past few years before finding it on Netflix. Always a fun way to spend a half-hour.

The Big Bang Theory.
Well, no reason of my own preference. Just a habit.

When I'm not being pecked as Sheldon Cooper, it's Tom And Jerry. If outside air-time, it's Family Guy or Simpsons. Not much of a TV person, really.

My favorite show not airing anymore is Smallville. I know it's cheesy sometimes but when it first aired I was in highschool an could really identity with the characters so I think its part of my late childhood.
Firefly is a close second. It's just so depressing to watch knowing it ends to soon.

Favorite currently airing show would have to be either The Big Bang Theory or Supernatural. Two very different shows so I find it hard to pick one over the other.

And a notable mention: The Office. No show has made me laugh like the first few seasons of The Office. The last few have really dropped off steeply and I think it's time to retire it, for the sake of the show.

Everything Ranger said except The Office. I absolutely love everything else you mentioned though.

Well seeing that the title of this topic area says "of all time", I'm going to have to go way back and say my all time favorite TV show would have to be Miami Vice that used to run on the NBC Network. The show was on every Friday night at 9:00pm and ran from 1984 to 1989! My second most favorite, is almost from the same time period, and that would have to Airwolf, which ran on the CBS Network, I think the show ran every Thursday nights at 8:00pm, the show ran from 1980 to 1988. And I'll close out my top 3 of all time with my final pick. My third favorite of all time was a show back in the 1980's that only lasted one season. It starred one of my former favorite actors being Mr. Rex Smith, who starred as Jesse Mach in that action packed show called Streethawk! The show only aired for one season during the year of 1985.The show aired on the ABC Network and was on every Monday night, right after Monday Night Football.

Oh I can remember and still hear it now...................The Man...............The Machine.............Streethawk!

OMG that theme song to Streethawk used to put me in a trance. And of course, Airhawk is a fav to everyone who watched TV back then. I work with a young guy who knows nothing about Airwolf but looks so much like Jan-Michael did in the show with his big glasses and everything. As far as Miami Vice goes - I went as Crockett to my wife's Halloween party in '11 :) There was lots of confusion about whether I was Crockett or Tubbs since I wore white and pink but I'm a black guy. Everyone got that it was a Miami Vice reference though.

Definitely Being Human - but not the Euro version our US version. To me it feels much more polished and emotional. The music selection is always spot on, and I've shed more than one tear watching these three tortured souls try to make it in their respective worlds.

Really great show and Syfy did a wonderful job.

I forgot about Breaking Bad. Its great. Comes back to TV this Sunday night. Although I'm not sure it should. End of last season would have been a perfect ending to the series, I fear they might screw this up. (Like Heroes going past 1 season...)

I forgot about Breaking Bad. Its great. Comes back to TV this Sunday night. Although I'm not sure it should. End of last season would have been a perfect ending to the series, I fear they might screw this up. (Like Heroes going past 1 season...)

I know what you mean, SNGX1275. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. This is the final season, I've heard. The writers have been doing a great job so far. I like that they've been true to the characters and haven't gone out of their way to please anyone but themselves. Just brave, crazy, violent and irreverent storytelling. :D

I'm guessing the two friends (if you can call them that) will turn on each other, finally. Sorry if that turns out to be a spoiler.

Great show...but for a fitting end, Walter White needs to die. Lets face it, the shows whole premise is based on the fact that he was supposed to be dying. If the show continues to follow the classic tragedy format (Doomed from the start, main character possesses a tragic flaw- usually hubris- that causes his downfall, and the eventual downfall caused is by his own actions and not fate) Walter need to fall by his own undoing

/hopefully he kills his (ex-) wife in episode one. Definition of a character that has outlived her usefulness.

Favourite show.....probably a deadheat between Fawlty Towers, Garth Marenghi's Darkplace (+ the spin-off, Man to Man with Dean Lerner), and Monty Python's Flying Circus. The Wire would probably feature, but it hasn't aged that well.

Back