What mnobo advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
What mobo advice

hi guys, im looking into buying a new motherboard but am totaly undecided on what to get. these are my basic requirements:

ATX form factor
Pentium 4 (Preferably 800 fsb)
support for PC3200 RAM
pci express
onboard SATA
onboard 6 chanel sound
easily updatable BIOS

i might go for an AMD but dont have a clue about them. i will also be buying a new processor but not RAM so a bundle would be superb
if anyone can sugest some appropriate chipsets or motherboards that would be great, even better if there are some cheap places to get them.

greeny12m said:
hi guys, im looking into buying a new motherboard but am totaly undecided on what to get. these are my basic requirements:

ATX form factor
Pentium 4 (Preferably 800 fsb)
support for PC3200 RAM
pci express
onboard SATA
onboard 6 chanel sound
easily updatable BIOS

i might go for an AMD but dont have a clue about them. i will also be buying a new processor but not RAM so a bundle would be superb
if anyone can sugest some appropriate chipsets or motherboards that would be great, even better if there are some cheap places to get them.
Go with a asus P4C 800E deluxe if you dont mind spending more money,A motherboard is the first to invest in ,get the best you can afford,The rest comes later.building many pc's i say these are one of the best boards out on the market,OC happy and many features.

vegasgmc said:
When it says:
1 x PCI Express x16
3 x PCI Express x1
2 x PCI
will my orginal pci cards fit into the pci express x 1 slots?
does PCI express make my AGP 8x graphics card redundant, or can i still use it?
i also noticed that it has 240pin dimm sockets i dont think that supports PC3200 memory which is 184 pin dimm. i would like to upgrade but my budget wont allow that much. is it possible to get adaptors?

Also is there actualy any performance benefit from the P4C 800, P4C 800 deluxe and P4C 800-E Deluxe? as the extra bits such as RAID, net diagnosing and Audio jack sensing i dont realy need as im all wireless and will never have any use for RAID.

greeny12m said:
When it says:
1 x PCI Express x16
3 x PCI Express x1
2 x PCI
will my orginal pci cards fit into the pci express x 1 slots?
does PCI express make my AGP 8x graphics card redundant, or can i still use it?
i also noticed that it has 240pin dimm sockets i dont think that supports PC3200 memory which is 184 pin dimm. i would like to upgrade but my budget wont allow that much. is it possible to get adaptors?

Also is there actualy any performance benefit from the P4C 800, P4C 800 deluxe and P4C 800-E Deluxe? as the extra bits such as RAID, net diagnosing and Audio jack sensing i dont realy need as im all wireless and will never have any use for RAID.
actly pciexpress is to new at the moment and i would suggest stay with your old board for now,te 1x- 16x are the signals for pci express,No you can not use your pci with express signal voltage levels, and signal format are different then with PCI,there are no adapters due to the siginal differents and i dont think they would make them as of yet.
The differents in boards are basically asus working out the bugs on E and deluxe ,differents on p4c800 is 2 x UltraDMA 133 support two hard drives
-2 x Serial ATA -RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 0+1, Multiple RAID.Now what they changed on the P4c800 e and deluxe was the P4C800 Deluxe the first one they came out with had quite the RAID performance problems, the northbridge heatsink bangs against the install of AGP cards not a good thing. And the I/0 contoller is newer.there could be many other changes i dont see but that is why asus made it the deuxe E.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back