What PSU should I buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Havok

Hello everyone again, I'm back with another question..
I recently bought a PSU that was, what I believed to be, a decent PSU. It was a Xilence 600 watt PSU and was SLI and ATI Crossfire compatible. However, I have the felling that it is ONLY compatible with those types of Mobos :(. I'm not completly computer ill-literate as i'm taking a Hardware and Troubleshooting class in my highschool. But I just can't het this PSU to work with me-no matter what I do. So I was wondering what kind of a PSU you guys would recommend.

Thanks again for your help. :D

Well sir, I own a 650 Watt Xilence psu. Can you tell us what hardware you have that you are trying to connect to this psu. SLI and Crossfire arent motherboard types. They are the names of 2 different dual card solutions.

System Hardware

OK, the hardware I have installed is listed below.
RAM-DDR21.5 GB
Hard Drive- One external Seagate 500GB and one internal EIDE Western Digital 80GB
PSU- Power Man 300Watt PSU
Video Card- Nvidia Ge Force 6200PCI (soon to be a Sapphire HD3850 AGP 8x)
Sound Card- Sound Blaster Audigy (not sure if its 5.1 but I have a 2.1 system at the moment.
Motherboard- Intel Desktop D865GBF
Wireless Adapter Card- Cisco or Linksys wireless 52Mb card
CD/DVD Rom Drive- Memorex DVD 16x Double Layer

If I missed something else you may say so and I'll go back and look to see what it is.

The psu I have was made by Silence, not Xilence. Kind of made me laugh. Anyway, the 12V rails on these things are unstable under load. I'd suggest getting a new psu.

PSU

Allrighty, I did notice that most of my problems were within the 12v rails, as when I had them connected, nothing worked. But, if I left them unconnected as well, some of the fans would work but nothing else, no power to the monitor, nothing would work...kinda a comedy of problems. Anyways I believe I'll be getting a new PSU as well..might as well order it along with my graphics card I plan on getting as well. Would you recommend any PSU brands? I been having some bad luck with them lately.:haha:

The Antec Earthwatts EA430 is available for $50 with free shipping on Newegg, and is an excellent choice for your PC.

I went with the the suggestion of Antec Earthwatts and got it in tonight, I ordered a 500w just for the extra power and sense i've hooked it up the graphics card hasn't tweaked out or anything... its very quiet, which makes me feel accomplished in this task... Thank you everyone for the support I really appreciate the advice...

That is an excellent choice. Except the Corsair 450VX, there is nothing that can beat the efficiency and power output of the EA500 at that price.

Thanks for the help!

I'm going to go with the antec Earth Watts. Thanks everyone for the recommendations and info. I'll be looking forward to seeing you guys on TechSpot. Again thanks for the help. Everything should be running good. :D
I like the smiles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back