Gordon9999

I am looking to buy a new processor and a new motherboard. I currently have:

Intel core 2 DUO E6300 32bit mpu 1.86G 2MB
ASUS SKT.775 NF4 6501 ATX
Patriot 3GB DDR2
Seagate 320 GB Sattii 16mb
extreme powerduo 650w
280 GTX OC2 graphics card

This is one of my gaming computers and it is only used for games or browsing. I have a budget of 2,000 dollars for this next update. I only assume if I get a new mother board and processor I will need to buy another component to make it all compatible. When I bought the graphics card which looks more like a brick I had to buy a new power supply. So I made sure I have enough for whatever it will be. Im not looking for fancy lights and stuff just things that help with its performance.

I put in 2 pictures of the computer so you can see exactly what needs to be done. After all the input and advice I will update it and put a picture up of the changes.

Thank you to everyone who responds and helps me!

Attachments

• DSCN1209.jpg
    DSCN1209.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 30
  • DSCN1210.jpg
    DSCN1210.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 23
Well I find that the process speed is a bit slow but I am running very big programs like call of duty WaW and Empire Total war as an example. I will defiantly get that 32nm i7 processor that looks very nice. I can wait I guess until 2010 for it. is the triple channel DDR3 kit different kind of ram? I think it is anyway. Should I replace my 3 gigs of patriot for it? if im confused oupsy but i will definitely also buy the Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R. That looks like it will last.

I will go check in at my computer shop and that's what I will ask for and see how it all works out. just out of curiosity do you think I have a good graphics card?

You video card is top-notch. I would recommend replacing the PSU however. You would also want to replace your CPU, since I suspect it is severely bottlenecking your card, not allowing you to unleash its full performance. Check on ASUS' site if your mobo supports one of the new 45nm chips.

Thanks man and I agree with you. What would you suggest I swap or buy. I contacted my computer shop today about Matthew's suggestions and im going to get the gigabite motherboard and the new DDR3 Ram and when the processor comes out I will get that too.

If you have any advice or see anything wrong with my setup please let me know.

Thanks again Rage_3k_Moiz and Matthew look forward to your replies, If anyone has any other input please feel free to say so :)

Thanks man and I agree with you. What would you suggest I swap or buy. I contacted my computer shop today about Matthew's suggestions and im going to get the gigabite motherboard and the new DDR3 Ram and when the processor comes out I will get that too.
If I'm understanding you correctly, you're going sit on the board and RAM to wait until the 32nm CPUs come out. (?) or (!) as may be the case.

IMHO this is not the best approach. The BIOSes will not be compatible directly with the CPUs until after they are released. Perhaps even a couple months after that, while the earlier stock is still possibly in the supplier's warehouses. Best approach is to wait until after the CPUs are released and then buy the, as by then it will be plug and play, no BIOS update necessary. Besides, why let the parts burn up their warranty sitting on a shelf.

Meanwhile, you E6300 is a processor that's notorious for being overclockable. So, if you have a decent heat sink fan, you might consider giving that a cautious try.

Aye, don't buy the board and RAM now and hold them for use with the 32nm i7's when they're out. That is an extremely illogical approach in terms of cost, and you may not even be able to use the board when the time comes. If you're going to wait on the CPU, wait on the rest as well.

For the time being, just overclock or upgrade to a 45nm Core 2 Duo, as the others have recommended, if your system is holding you back.

Right on, I will wait for the parts. I will look into the 45nm Core 2 Duo and seeing how to overclock. If I wait that long do you think any other components in my computer will need to be replaced? i hope my power supply is sufficient. If you guys think that's the best thing to do for this computer I will do that and wait. How much do you think those three pieces will cost and can I have the names of them. i know the 32nm i7's is one of them but what about the motherboard and ram? Maybe theirs something more technical to it and the three pieces stated all ready are what I need to get but wait for the 32nm i7. if you buy all at once its compatible some how. lol?

Thanks again fellerz

f I wait that long do you think any other components in my computer will need to be replaced? i hope my power supply is sufficient.
If your computer is turning on and playing games, then it is sufficient, but i doubt it's reliable.

I think the best thing for the computer is to leave it alone, unless you actually *need* an upgrade. Again, is the system preventing you from playing a game or doing anything else, or are you just upgrading for an expensive project?

Look your motherboard up on the Asus website to determine whether or not it will support the 45nm Core 2 Duo's. If it does, you won't need to buy anything other than the new CPU. If it doesn't, then I personally wouldn't bother replacing your motherboard for a few months *just* to upgrade your CPU (after which you might not even see a performance difference, realistically).

The Cooler Master Extreme Power Duo 650W is actually a 500W SevenTeam unit that has been rated for 650W. Now don't get me wrong; SevenTeam is good, but not THAT good.

ok I copied that information and I will make sure that the 45nm Core 2 Duo is compatible with the motherboard. I just feel like the computer is not running as fast as I want it to be and one of my games seems to be slow. I want to make the computer as fast as It can be logically.I think I have the graphics part covered for awhile but now I want to update the performance and speed.

I hope the power supply is going to be good enough but if you don't think so just tell me which one i should get. I think I am going to go with the 45nm core 2 duo if its compatible and the new cpu Matthew described but I was thinking I could get the Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 965 that would be the best one right?
Thanks guys. :)

I want to make the computer as fast as It can be logically.I think I have the graphics part covered for awhile but now I want to update the performance and speed.
Hard drive latency and speed generally cause system slowdowns and such.

I was thinking I could get the Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 965 that would be the best one right?
Yes it is, aside from the similar core i7 920, 940, and shortly available D0 stepping versions.
Though the 45nm core 2's like E7xxx and E8xxx would be a much smarter choice.

I have only been able to trust what the computer shops tell me I should get and Im not sure if they are making the best decisions.
If your not sure about them, its not trusting :p. Anyway, they probably throw in the most expensive options, with a *hidden charge*. That makes you feel like your computer is the fastest, and gets them money. *You will need a new motherboard*.

I guess im going to have to wait until November for the cpu but i am going to get the 45nm Core 2 Duo this week.

thanks for the good advice hellowkitty[hk]

Ok, I'm ready to send my computer in next week for the changes stated. I am getting the;

(45nm Core 2 Duo)
(XIGMATEK Dark Knight- Heat Sink)

(If this is what I should do!)

Then later on i will get the 32nm i7 when it comes out and also buy the DDr3 ram at the same time

My question is, If i get the 45nm Core 2 Duo now should I still get the 32nm i7 later on? I am not sure if they are both the same type of computer component or if they are tottaly diffrent pieces, soo I'm not sure if I need both the 32nm i7 and the 45nm Core 2 Duo . I am slightly computer illiterate but I am trying. "IF" I don't need both pieces should I wait for the 32nm i7's and buy the other parts at the same time or get ram, heat sink, and 45nm Core 2 Duo now and forget about the 32nm i7?

Thanks again to all that help.

I have just become slightly confused with what I should get. If someone can read this thread and just put down the computer pieces that I should get that have been recommended by the Techspot members that would be great. I have just become alittle confused with what I should get and what I should wait for and what I can skip. I think, after re-reading everything that I should wait for the 32nm i7 to come out and get it with the ram and everything else. please just state what I should do exactly

Date to buy: _______
ram _____
processor ______
motherboard _______
Heat sink fan _______

With that, can you also let me know if the power supply is sufficent. I am all ready with the money and everything to go buy it but I am prepared to wait if that 32nm i7 isnt out yet.

sorry for my confusion I am trying.

Cheers

The 32nm Core i7 CPUs, codenamed Westmere, will release at the end of 2009 or probably sometime in Q1 2010. Since they're still a long way off, wait it out IMO.

And if you are talking about the Cooler Master PSU, I wouldn't recommend it for the kind of rig you're looking to eventually have. Go for a higher-wattage Corsair or PC Power & Cooling PSU instead. The Corsair 650TX will do nicely.

Thanks Rage_3k_Moiz!!!! ummm what parts do you think I can get right now? kinda itchen for an update of some kind.

Im still not sure if the motherboard you recommended is still on my "to buy" list which is the Gigibite motherboard"

From what I understand so far is, wait for the i7 cpu the motherboard and ram until the i7's come out. Can I update the heat sink or powersuply now? or wait and get it all at once.

Can you just make a small list of the names of the exact parts i need to buy and that will really help me.

Thanks again Rage_3k_Moiz

ram___
motherboard____
processor_____ Does cpu mean processor? lol.
powersupply _____
Heat sink fan ______

ok here are your options so far...
1 - put in the best cpu(central processing unit) your mobo(Motherboard-which by the pic you gave us is an Asus P5B) can handle...which would be Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E7600 (3M Cache, 3.06 GHz, 1066 MHz FSB which i think would be fine running those games

2 - buy the Intel® Core™ i7-975 Processor Extreme Edition (8M Cache, 3.33 GHz, 6.40 GT/s Intel® QPI) which is the best i7 out there right now. buy a new mobo that will support the i7 which would be the Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R that matthew provided. buy new ram(memory) such as the OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 that matthew also gave us because your ddr2 ram will not be compatible with the new mobo.

3 - do option 1 now and then when the 32nm i7 comes out buy the best one and get a mobo that is compatible with the new i7(motherboards out right now will require you to flash the bios which is an update so its best not to deal with that mess) and the ram stated in option 2

hope this helped some

ahhh, I understand now. Thanks Hudozie. The other people gave such great information I just was not up to speed with the process of when and what to get. I understand what to do now. I think I will go with option 1 and when the 32nm i7 comes out i will get it with the new motherboard and ram. YAY i understand!! i was wondering, Is option 1 and 3 better in the long run than option 2?

any suggestions for the heat sink or power supply?

Now I know the process I will go get the cpu as soon as possible.

Thanks a lot Hudozie, Rage_3k_Moiz, Matthew, hellowkitty[hk] and captaincranky.

I am grateful

Is option 1 and 3 better in the long run than option 2?
i think it is...even if it costs more money...because the i7 will be better than the curent one which means it will be a long time before you do a cpu upgrade.

any suggestions for the heat sink or power supply?
well i use ZALMAN CNPS9900LED 120mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler for my cpu which works wonders for my oc(over clocked-which is basicly making cpu,ram,gpu run faster than the manufacture rates it at) intel core 2 duo E8500. and as for the psu(power supply unit) i think your fine.

ok cool. I am going to get the cpu today :) at 4:00 pm woot woot. They have a powersupply for about one hundred and fifty bucks that I think I may get. It is 100 watts more than what is recommended in the thread.

The Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E7600 (3M Cache, 3.06 GHz, 1066 MHz FSB they say can not be found in my region and it is impossible to get... so i am going with the E7500 I think. Which they do have. I hope it is good.

Cheers

What PSU are you getting, and from where? I may be able to link you to a less-expensive model of the same or better quality.

Also, I recommend the Xigmatek HDT-S1283 as a cheaper version of the Dark Knight.

I got the processor but its a 7400 rather than the 7600 you guys suggested. I looked everywhere for the 7600 but no one in my region had it. They have a power supply for me that looks fairly nice but please send me the link for the cheap stuff.

The "power supply" they say I should get is the Corsair TX 750watts cmpsu-750TX. I am not sure what all that means but thats what they said it is Mr. Rage_3k_Moiz. :)

I will be getting the powersupply and that (dark knight heat sink- I think) soon so send me those links for the cheaper dark knight and the psu, please and thank you. Then I will put up a picture of the changes. LoL the processor doesnt look very diffrent from my older one. 1 gig faster they say though. I have noticed the speed diffrence big time. much faster :)

Cheers

I got the processor but its a 7400 rather than the 7600 you guys suggested. I looked everywhere for the 7600 but no one in my region had it.
The E 7400 is a fine CPU in it's own right. Plus, it will install directly into more boards without a BIOS update. So, while it may not apply to you, people with slightly older mobos, (a year or perhaps more), can enjoy the CPU via plug and play convenience.
LoL the processor doesnt look very diffrent from my older one.
Well Gordon, sad but true, as long as it's a LGA775 socket, you turn them upside down and they all look alike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back