What software to use to secure your System

Status
Not open for further replies.

tw0rld

I started this thread in an attempt to provide users or visitors with some sort of "Security tool Kit". A place where they can go to get information about the various software they can use to better secure their system, thus reducing the risk of a security breach. I've always heard that "prevention is better than a cure", although the some of the programs listed below will not stop a breach, they will certainly aid in early detection. This is particularly good when dealing with a Trojan. This is meant to be an open discussion, so anyone can give their input. After this process is completed, I will make a post with the most popular Programs and place them in a single thread. I will Categorize the programs based on their purpose. All these recommendations are for windows based systems.

Here we go;

Anti-Virus
:
I like Avg for it multi-functionability. It doubles as both Anti-spyware and Anti-virus. The latest version also has a built in Link scanner, which is very useful, especially when doing a Google search ( Or what ever search engine you use). Updating is a breeze, as this is done automatically, and without hogging your resources.
Anti-Spyware:
A personal favorite of mine is Spybot S&D. The thing I like mostly about S&D is the Immunization it provides. Updates are not automatic, so in order to stay current it is advised to update and immunize your system regularly.

Ad-Aware Free edition
I have been using this Software for as long as I can remember, and it still remains as one of my favorite, doesn't do much out of the ordinary, but is very effective.

SuperAntispyware
Recommended by the techspot community. I personally haven't used this much. I never had the need to,but it comes highly recommended.
Anti-Malware:
Techspot community recommends Malwarebytes.

Firewall:
ZoneAlarm
I have been using this for years.It isVery effective, somewhat technical, but simple enough for the average user.

Comodo firwall
I have tried comodo on a few for a while. It is a very good program for experienced users, but may prove very bother some for the average user.

Browser

I personally recommend Firefox(This might come as a surprise to one particular individual), but Firefox is a good secure browser. You are still gonna need IE to perform various tasks, but Firefox should be used for most of your Internet activities.
I might be forgetting something, so if anyone realizes a missing category please post it. Also please post your recommendations.Addons and/or settings are also acceptable.

Thank You!

so if anyone realizes a missing category please post it.
Yes Hardware, like behind a good strong Router ( or even a Hardware Firewall)
Hang on, you want "Software"

Security updates completed - not sure if you'd count that one in, but it is "Software" not "Program" that you asked for.

The updated Hosts file; Network settings; Services; Temp files removal programs; passwords (actually settings like these can fill a page, maybe I'll go back to Programs)

Although I don't use an Internet Security (all in one) package. I've always felt Kaspersky Internet Security to be the best in this group. (Hmm maybe you're after "free" Programs)

I'll second Malwarebytes as one of the best (to remove bugs) not actually prevent them comming in (No no you want defensive free Programs, I think)

Ok, in that case, I'd recommend Avira free Antivirus, arguably one of best (if not the best) Antivirus positive protection program

That's about all, until you clear up what "Software" (free? settings? Adddons?...) you mean.

I think you're after free, real time protection; programs. I wonder if Linux (especially live CDs) would be an acceptable "Software" defence. It's certainly the most secure OS and it's free.

Major concept to thwart attacks; NEVER login to an admin account to perform daily tasks.
Instead, create an LUA account for everyone (including YOU) for daily work and then
use Run AS to get admin access or Switch Users for heavy work, eg MS Updates.

IF the LUA account gets compromised, the worst thing that can happen is that
account becomes contaminated, but the system remains health :)

best software i found

norton has just released a new version of pc antivirus 2009. at the beginning i didint want to purchase their products. however since i have it (4 days), my computer is more stable i after my first full computer scan, it repair a lot of previous problems that i had. i dont know how was previous version of norton antivirus, however i really appreaciate the 2009. i found it on pcrepairexperts.net . they a few security products avalaible on the market.

Suggest readers of this thread search for "Norton" on this site for the many contrary opinions of their product.

That should offload that quest and trim this thread to the intent of the originator :)
rather than recreating the arguments here :(

I'll second Malwarebytes as one of the best (to remove bugs) not actually prevent them comming in (No no you want defensive free Programs, I think)

Ok, in that case, I'd recommend Avira free Antivirus, arguably one of best (if not the best) Antivirus positive protection program

That's about all, until you clear up what "Software" (free? settings? Adddons?...) you mean.

I think you're after free, real time protection; programs. I wonder if Linux (especially live CDs) would be an acceptable "Software" defence. It's certainly the most secure OS and it's free.

Sorry If I wasn't clear enough. All of what you said was very helpful. As for the Linux live CD, I almost smiled. Whether the software is free or not It does not matter. Addons and settings are welcomed ideas. Every bit of information helps.

Temp files removal programs; (actually settings like these can fill a page, maybe I'll go back to Programs)
Should have known to mention this.

CCleaner, ATF Cleaner are two popular cleaners( Temp files removal programs ) often mentioned here on techspot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back