What SSD would you choose?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Intel X25-M 80GB
OCZ Vertex Turbo 60GB

I want to install my OS (Windows 7 Ultimate) on it, And maybe Microsoft Office.

So the questions are:

Which on is better? and which one would you choose and why?

OCZ Vetex have 100 mb/s write speed compared to 70 mb/s from intel, Does that speed matter?

Is 60GB storage enough?

Is intel X25-M, G1 or a G2? (I couldn't find any product called Intel G2, here in Australia)

Lastly What progarms would you have on SSD? (At the moment I'm thinking just OS and Office)

Thanks guys,

If you can answer all, that'll be really appreciated.

Intel's drive may not perform consistently under considerable write load; whereas the vertex is very fast drive, and thats what i'll be recommending.

However, the moment you buy an (MLC based) SSD HDD you are sort of on borrowed time. I hope likes of intel/samsung/toshiba & others will soon come up with solutions making SLC based NAND Flash cheap enough to be used in mainstream SSDs; it will not only help the performance of SSDs but also considerably improve the life span.

Anway, if i were to buy and use SSD today, I will disable disk defragmentation, windows prefetcher and search indexer, as it will help in ensuring that SSD will last some years (at least).

I'd say go with the Vertex of the two -you'll need firmware v1.5 or later to enable TRIM support.
If you're in Aussie then you should have access to the G.Skill Falcon II (64 and 128Gb capacity) SSD's - they also have Indilinx controllers (IDX110M01 ‘Barefoot ECO’) with TRIM support from firmware v1819. They should also be cheaper than the OCZ and Intel SSD's.
I wouldn't bother with an X25M G1 (or its generic Kingston stablemate)- it's EOL (end of life) and has no capacity for TRIM enablement.
Also, the A-Data S592 is also a similar SSD to the Vertex if that's available locally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back