What's cooler than cool?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoknOvrclk

Ice cold? funny. Anyway I have a question that may have already been answered here,but I'm too busy tweaking to search.
I'm forced to go liquid cooled :)giddy:
I swapped out my gfx5500 for a new ati x1600pro (the 512mb one) and this thing is WAY too loud. I think if my case had wings (and wireless hook-ups) it would fly....seriously, this thing is ridiculous. So my question is, what kinda liquids (or low pressure gases for that matter) could I put in a water cooling setup that would get colder than water? something safe for pumps, and non-corrosive to radiators. It's ok if I have to build some things, I like tinkering. any input would be great.
By the way, I got my 2.8 prescott to hit 4.2 ......on air. It crashed shortly after, but thanks to asus, I'm ok.

You really can't cool the water/fluid below ambient room temp without running into problems with condensation. I have seen it done in the past where P4's have been cooled with liquid nitrogen, but it was very expensive.

You can get a different fan for your card, and it would be much easire/cheaper that water cooling.

I really do not think there's any liquid that can transfer heat better than water. Just get a good radiator and a good lapped waterblock and you shouldn't need anything better than water.
You could cut some long hoses and put your radiator outside the case, as it should give you slightly lower temperatures.
I have seen it done in the past where P4's have been cooled with liquid nitrogen, but it was very expensive.
He's talking about stuff he could put into a w/c loop!

could I put in a water cooling setup
I still believe he was talking about something that could be put into a watercooling loop.

Phase Change and Peltiers draw a LOT of electricity.

Jesse_hz said:
I still believe he was talking about something that could be put into a watercooling loop.

I realize that. And I belive that was answerd. Nothing. Water is the best option. I was simply throwing something out there.

Jesse_hz said:
Phase Change and Peltiers draw a LOT of electricity.

I also realize that.

Pelts are also a bit dangerous to use on CPUs. Unless you really know what you are doing, you can kill it quite easily.

your simply trying to quiet your noisy PC down, so why would you need lower temps than what plain old water cooling will provide?

as far as different liquids are concerned, you can use other liquids but they will have the same limitations as water. the lowest temps you can get will be a few degrees above ambient (which is more than cool enough)

:wave:

well,I wouldn't need colder temps, I was just curious. Regardless of weather or not I actually NEED to go water cooled, I'm doing it anyway. I just figured that since I was going I might as well go all out!
Also, personal preference and why.......evercool wc-202 vs. kingwin aquastar vs. homebuilt with store bought blocks (why deviate from something PROVEN effective,especially on a budget)? also ,just curious. thanks!

Alcohols I believe (should know this) transfer heat better than water and most have a much lower freezing point than water.

AFAIK alcohol will only transfer the heat better than water if its compressed somehow, and doesn't alcohol have less heat transfer capacity?

EDIT: And even if it were better, alcohol can seriously screw up waterblocks with acrylic tops.

Look at my gallery,it should be interesting to you if your thinking about home build setups.Still going strong with my set up,got my 2.4mhz at 3.4mhz for 1.5 years now with no problems.My prescott still runs at 30 degrees Celcius and thats playing all night:) and with out sounding like a airport.If you know what I mean.By the way I have my grafic card ,chipsets and my cpu running in one circulation threw that cooler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back