WhatsApp ends official support for Microsoft's ill-fated Windows Phone

Polycount

Staff
In context: Microsoft's Windows Phone is something of a tech legend now. Though it was eventually succeeded by Windows 10 Mobile, the classic Windows Phone OS only survived for a few years before its less-than-positive reception from critics and customers compelled Microsoft to declare its end-of-life. Many app developers have already stopped supporting any remaining Windows Phones, but today, another company is closing the book on the device: Facebook.

The social media platform is officially cutting support for the Windows Phone from its popular messaging app, "WhatsApp." This change goes into effect on December 31, 2019, which is tomorrow. Further, WhatsApp's developers will stop supporting older versions of Android (2.3.7 and earlier) and iOS (iOS 8 and earlier) on February 1, 2020.

Today's news was revealed in an updated support article instead of an official announcement, so it may come as a surprise to some. However, at least for the Windows Phone userbase, the impact of this change will probably be minimal.

Any remaining Windows Phones are quite old now, and their users are likely already mentally prepared for news like this. Of course, we should make it clear that an end to official support does not necessarily mean you'll no longer be able to use an app.

Software developers would certainly prefer it that way, but as long as you're ready for buggy or broken functionality and security risks, you might be able to continue accessing WhatsApp on your aging device for at least a couple months past its end-of-support date.

Middle image credit: Shutterstock

Permalink to story.

Ah, Whatsapp - the #1 source for spam chain messages. Forward this message otherwise you'll have bad luck!

Last edited:
WP7 developers paraded a coffin down the street to symbolise the death of other mobiles OSes. I hope that the irony is not lost on them.

What needs to be abandoned is WhatsApp itself....! On any platform....!

I would be more than open to alternatives. Problem is most of my contacts have and use it and very few are on Threema (which I also use).

Sadly, the Whatsapp end of support was what made me and my family switch from Windows phone to Android. Not saying that is the only reason but the biggest one.

Note: The Lumia 950 (XL) still holds up very well, but of course app choice is limited and you do begin to notice that the OS has been on basic support for a while now.

I still like Win Phone 10 better than Android, but time to move on.

Everyone I knew who had a Microsoft phone said good things about them, the problem was lack of public knowledge and lack of apps. Microsoft has the money to fully fund this app development and marketing but they just didn't want to take the risk and push hard, they threw in the towel against Google and are happy collecting licensing fees for every android phone on the market.

they threw in the towel against Google and are happy collecting licensing fees for every android phone on the market.

This does not portray the full extent of the issue. WP6.x devices could not be upgraded to WP7. WP7 devices could not be upgraded to WP8. Only a few WP8 devices could be upgraded to WP10. MS screwed its loyal customers time-and-again by making them buy new devices to get the upgraded OS. In the end, most just gave-up on MS.

Everyone I knew who had a Microsoft phone said good things about them, the problem was lack of public knowledge and lack of apps. Microsoft has the money to fully fund this app development and marketing but they just didn't want to take the risk and push hard, they threw in the towel against Google and are happy collecting licensing fees for every android phone on the market.

Microsoft funded app development plenty of times...but it didn't work. Developers would take payment, build an app that was not fully featured and rarely or never updated. So the app would become stale & forgotten about.

Microsoft funded app development plenty of times...but it didn't work. Developers would take payment, build an app that was not fully featured and rarely or never updated. So the app would become stale & forgotten about.
They may have, but they didn't market it enough, only Nokia was the major brand onboard and now they're been sold off just for patents. Microsoft ****ed up and it's too late.

Back