Where did my optical drives go?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a SAMSUNG sh-202 super writer so I that can burn dual layered dvds. After I unplugged the old one and plugged in this one the D: and E: drives are missing! I noticed this after roxio said that I had no drive selected. I tried all this bs with deleting registry info and installing nero but none of that crap worked. I do not know what is wrong but I will answer any questions needed to diagnose the problem. Please Help!!! This is pissing me off!

What OS are you running?

There's a fairly common problem with Windows XP x64 that causes the IDE drives to disappear.

IF you don't have XP,

1. Click start

2. Control Panel

3. Admin Tools

4. Computer Managment

5. Double click "storage"

Tell me what you see....

Regards,

Alex.

When you installed the new optical drive, did you set the jumper on the back on the same setting as the one you replaced, that is, master, slave or cable select?

I do indeed have XP. I kept the S and M the same, even though I do not really know what that all means. I replaced my E: drive from an old dvd burner to a new dvd dl burner. I kept the wiring the same and everything. Man I really hope its just a common problem because I would be losing over 100 gigs of entertainment if I have to reinstall windows:(

When you installed the new optical drive, did you set the jumper on the back on the same setting as the one you replaced, that is, master, slave or cable select?

Hold on. The jumper? Lol. Maybe I did screw up the master and slave. The only cables that were connected were the power and E-IDE interface.

The jumpers are the small plastic/metal things that bridge the jumper pins on the back of IDE drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back