Which memory sticks should I use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello, I am running an AMD Athlon 2400+ on a Soyo KT600 Dragon Plus. Originally I had one 512 stick of PC 3200 RAM in it and it worked fine. I then purchased 2 more unmatched 512 sticks of PC3200. I noticed a nominal increase in speed. So, I decided to try it with only 1 gig instead of 1.5 and it really seemed to make the speed increase alot. So my question is, does it make a difference running only 2 sticks rather than 3 and if so should I run one old and one new or two new (I think there may be a latency difference)? Also, can anyone give me any insight into whether or not the slots that I put the memory into make a big difference? I can't find any info on this on the soyo website. Thx for the help!

-Matt

You should always get matching memory sticks, i.e. all DDR400/PC3200 and all with the same CAS Latency (CL), the lower the better. (CL=2 or 2.5 or 3).
In a mixed environment, it might not work at all, or, if it does work, the speed for all sticks will always that of the slowest between them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back