Which SATA HDD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

laptox

I have to replace a SATA hard disk on a computer - I have noticed some say sata II - and these tend to be cheaper - how do I know if they are compatible - with the HDD - or MOBO in the system ?

I believe it has to be compatible with the motherboard but most hdd are compatible with most motherboards what kind of motherboard do you have?

I have to replace a SATA hard disk on a computer - I have noticed some say sata II - and these tend to be cheaper - how do I know if they are compatible - with the HDD - or MOBO in the system ?
If the hard drive you're replacing is already SATA, then any SATA 2 will work. You probably wouldn't be able to find a SATA 1 drive anyway. SATA 2 (300Gbs) drives are backwards compatible with the older SATA 1 spec, which is/was (150Gbs).

As to "SATA 600Gbs" spec, there are very few drives in the market with this buss speed rating, and it's pretty much a joke when mentioned in connection with a standard mechanical HDD. The only drives that could utilize this transfer speed are the solid state drives now coming to market.

Bottom line, any drive marked SATA 1 or SATA 2 will be just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back