Who's On My Wireless Network???

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMHar

For some reason, I've started getting the error message of "Duplicate name exists on network". I've never gotten this before, and I fixed it by changing the name of my computer. But it got me to wondering who else is on my wireless network. How can I who is on the network?

Often times, the web admin page from your router will have an area to view connected DHCP clents (Any computer that connects to your network using automatic settings) and their host names (Name of the computer).

Alternatively, you can use an IP scanner such as Angry IP which will indescriminately ping all IP address using a range you specify and show you the results. The only major caveat is a firewall (ZoneAlarm or NIS etc..) can block an IP scanner making it appear like the computer doesn't exist.

For example, your router is 192.168.1.1 and your IP address is 192.168.1.100. Angry IP scanner can attempt to ping everything between 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.254 - and if anything responds to the pings - it will list their IP and host name. If the computer is firewalled, your IP scanner may not get a response and therefore, report nothing.

Let me just advise you that you type the IP address into the address bar in your web browser and that will get you logged into your router. I think the default username is admin and just leave the password blank.

This is just in case you didn't know that. Good post Rick!

Oh yeah one more thing just in case:

To get your routers IP address press start, run, type cmd, press enter, type ipconfig and press enter.

The default gateway listing is the IP address of your router

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back