Wi-Fi 6 vs. Wi-Fi 5 Benchmarked: How Does the New Generation Perform?

While I appreciate the effort that clearly went into this article, I’m afraid all we really see here is a D-Link vs Asus benchmark!

This type of article needs to be either done with far more devices, or Asus WiFi 5 vs Asus WiFi 6 (or D-Link vs D-Link, linksys vs linksys, etc).

I have a larger house with two stories and a lot of walls AND a lot of devices (pushing 50 now especially since everyone's working/schooling from home) so mesh was a must-have for me.

Can anyone recommend a good router (to go with my cable modem) that a) has 2.5GB port(s) and b) DOESN'T have wi-fi built-in, since I use my mesh access points instead of the router? I can't seem to find anything good in this space.

Got two Extreme 305C AP's. Getting 780Mbps on my WiFi5 laptop on the 5GHz band. It's very good gear. It's also $800 for two AP's so your mileage will vary.

Can anyone recommend a good router (to go with my cable modem) that a) has 2.5GB port(s) and b) DOESN'T have wi-fi built-in, since I use my mesh access points instead of the router? I can't seem to find anything good in this space.
You're looking for a standalone Gateway/Firewall, maybe checkout Draytek, Zyxel, SonicWall, WatchGuard etc... That sort of realm.

Or just buy a normal router and turn off the built in wireless.

Would never buy a Dlink router they are way to slow with patching security exploits.

Ditto for Netgear.

Asus RT-N66u - Nuff said.

Netgear, have that nighthawk switch, as I prefer a wired setup for everything behind the tv. But what a pain in the *** that is to set up. And I am sure they do plenty of ISP stuff in the UK which is why people look for an alt brand when getting their own router.

But looks like many results show 6 isn't great yet.

There is something wrong with those bandwidth charts as shown. The basement wired chart, for example, shows the two-device test coming in at double the bandwidth of the single-device test. That would lead one to believe that the value shown is not the bandwidth of each device, but rather the aggregate for both. However, the other charts show the two-device test having the same or lower bandwidth. One or the other must be wrong.

I have a larger house with two stories and a lot of walls AND a lot of devices (pushing 50 now especially since everyone's working/schooling from home) so mesh was a must-have for me.

Could you not just disable the wifi on the router, or is the issue not having to pay for it in the first place? Or you could separate it from the mesh network with its own SSID for "privileged" use.

Back