Wifi Booster?

steelth

I have a good wireless router and my parents live across the street and get a very weak signal . Does anyone know of a good wifi booster I can use so they get a good signal.Has to be cheap because they are on a fixed income and can't afford much. thx for the help

If you don't mind tweaking then another option to consider is get a used/recert router w/ firmware that can be flashed to dd-wrt. The site has a database listing compatible models from various manufacturers. The wiki was helpful when I set one up for my parent's place. The dd-wrt firmware has an option to increase transmittance power (I didn't have to do this) to increase the range. It does warn you that this will generate more heat and can shorten the life of the device.

I thought powerline networks had to be on the same breaker.hum, I might have to look into that thx

I'm not sure , I know when the power goes out ,we both lose it. but other than that I got no idea

I guess I could get them a better wifi adapter, theirs is a 6dbi , but getting something stronger would probably cost alot

Range extenders are really made for homes that have a weak router. There is really no way to share Internet that I know of other than bringing a line directly to your home.

Hey steelth. Your parents obviously connect wirelessly, but how do you connect?. Do they have a laptop or a desktop with wireless connectivity?. If you connect with Ethernet and they have a desktop, maybe you could place your router close to your front window as possible, and they could use an antenna placed by their front window that could connect to a built in wireless adapter that uses an external adapter (an antenna extension cable might be needed depending on where their pc is located). This assumes both pc's connect as stated above.

We did share the internet when they lived next door to me , I have a wireless router and they have a wifi adapter that picked up my signal but now they moved across the street and get no signal .. we both have desktops btw,I think I'm going to buy a cheap powerline network and pray it works, but has anyone seen or heard of this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1NV0K68208

I'm thinking this might work good,,,,,if it works but I never heard of them

I had installed this for a client of mine works very well, and very easy to install has 5dBi:
EnGenius

EUB9603H

Powerline Ethernet will not work when each house has a separate power line and meter - - you will need a MIMO class wifi router - - that's a router with multiple antenna. Also, stick with 2.4ghz and avoid the new 5ghz stuff. Radio strength is inverse to the frequency so lower RF band will reach further than a higher one.
Your own car radio will attest to this - - you can hear AM stations easier than FM (ignoring the possibility of the local stations).

Powerline Ethernet will not work when each house has a separate power line and meter
Not every house has its own powerline. For instance every two houses on our block, share power from the same poll using the same transformer and fuse. It is less likely that a house across the road will share transformers this way, but I have seen it happen in less populated areas.

I'm not absolutely sure but highly doubt, the power meter will interrupt a networking signal. It's my understanding that a power meter is nothing more than a parallel circuit. A parallel circuit that does nothing to prevent the main flow of current.

A parallel circuit that does nothing to prevent the main flow of current.
Even a surge protector will disrupt EoP as will a UPS. As our Ethernet has high bit rates, it operates just like R.F. To get my EoP to the far end of the house, I had to plug the transmitter and receivers directly into naked power outlets (ie no surge or ups protection).

The signal must travel on bare wire and not encounter filters of any sort.
Parallel circuits create something known as hi-pass and low-pass filters because of their impedance changes with frequency. My location has multiple lines from a single power pole transformer too, but the signal dies at my service disconnect box (where the meter is located).

EoP implementation costs a bit, so a good alternative is a good MIMO class wifi router. I dislike wifi altogether and opted for the EoP solution. This way, my family and guests have no exposure to wifi-sniffers and are protected by multiple levels of NAT and SPI technologies.

That just my $0.02

Parallel circuits create something known as hi-pass and low-pass filters because of their impedance changes with frequency. My location has multiple lines from a single power pole transformer too, but the signal dies at my service disconnect box (where the meter is located).
Excellent point, I stand corrected. Damn I'm getting rusty, I should have thought of that.

Your $0.02 is pretty sound! :)

Steelth, if that's the wireless adapter they're using, then you have some relatively simple options (and cheap ones, at that) available to you, without going too over the top. They may or may not help significantly, but it will be a starting point.

...step 1? I'd try some better antenna. The ones on that adapter are 5dbi. That's good, but you can do better. For example? Grab a couple of these. Whack them on the adapter. Make sure the adapter is somewhere that has a direct line of sight (e.g. is in a window) to your house (you may need a USB extension cable for this). That's probably not going to be a game-changer, but walls can degrade signals. Windows don't tend to. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-4GHz-1...AN-RP-SMA-Modem-Router-PCI-Card-/140734183123

step 2? Make sure that your router is as close to their house as possible - again, preferably with a line of sight (e.g. in a window area) and up relatively HIGH (signals tend to travel down as they spread out - think of a half-bubble). If you can, upgrade the antenna on your router too... again with the 12dbi or something.

step 3? If you can, use a modded firmware on your router (what model is it, btw?). dd-wrt has options in it to increase signal strength.

Those things should help.

Try google

There are several long range extenders even with MESH technology to get from your house to you parents. I would be sure to get at lease 2x2 or maybe even 4x4 MIMO service. Take your time and read-up on everything. Remember that a $1.95 solution is exactly worth $1.95 and you get what you pay for in networking.

Back