Win 7 32-bit to 64-bit for a gamer?

JohnD212

I currently run Win 7 32bit on my QuadCore Alienware system. I have been really happy with it but wondered if I upgraded my 32bit OS to the 64bit OS would I see an increase in performance? For a gamer is the 64bit a good choice? I currently have 4 GB of RAM on my system.

In the past the 64bit was a little less compatible with software so most tended to stay away from it.

Advice? thanks much

with the 64-bit os you "use" more of the computers performance...or I dnt knw how to say it but for ex. you said you have 4gigs ram, with the 32bit os you only use ~3.2gig but with the 64bit os you use all that you have. I'm not sure but I think you also "get to use" more of the cpu...
Even if some games says that they "haven't been tested and might not work" / "aren't compatible" with the 64bit os you can install them in "compability mode", that's how I do it and it works...I play Battlefield 2142 and it can't be installed normally on WinXP 64bit edition but with the compability mode it works just fine :)

P.S
There are "64-bit" compability patches for some games

In most home scenario's 64bit Operating systems are used for computers in excess of 4GB RAM. Its hard to really see 90% of home/social users actually using the full potential of a 64bit operating system.

My main PC runs 64bit Linux, and 64bit Windows 7 Ultimate. I can't say I've ever noticed any slow down of performance - I think its fair to say most modern hardware (dual/quads and high speed DDR2/3 RAM) will happily take the slightly increased load without really making any noticeable difference to performance.

As for games; I have absolutely no idea, I don't even have the Microsoft supplied games on my PC. lol.

Back