Win XP takes 10 minutes to boot up/login

xaznxryux

I was given a project to fix a laptop that takes forever to load up.
At first it will take 10-15 minutes on the boot up screen
After thats over, I will login with my credentials and it will take another 10-15 minutes to finally load up everything.

I played around with "msconfig" disabling services, no luck, then enabled services and disabling a few startup exes except for the two most important ones.
This will still take 15-20 minutes or more to load up

Next thing I did was did a windows update and drivers update
**This actually improved the startup time by 20 minutes, I timed all my startup time and it only takes 10 minutes to boot and login. Still slow but not the ideal time, I want to get it back to at least 5 minutes so I get an idea whats wrong**

I restarted a few times to test my results. I would say out of 10 boots, 2 boots would take 25-30 minutes to boot up. But the other 8 boots takes 10 minutes...

I tried doing a defragment but window's defragment doesn't really defrag that well, so I used a free program called Defraggler to do them for me, no luck.

I swapped the hard drives of two identical laptops, same made, same model, same manufacturer, the slow startup HDD continued to startup slowly, while the other one just boots up fine, in 2 minutes or less. Now I suspect the hard drive is going bad.

To confirm this, I ran a diagnostics to test the hard drive, surprisingly, they all passed.

Went to Control Panel > Administrator Tools > Event Viewer > Systems
**In there I found a bunch of "ATAPI Error Event 9 & 11" upon every startup
then there is "DCOM Error Event 10016"

I googled them and tried one of the solutions by switching DVD Drives, same thing. However I doubt these two errors have to do with the startup problem.

Went to the task manager and sort through the processes by "I/O Reads and I/O Writes" but don't really know how to compare between Mem Usage, I/O Reads and Writes.

I am running out of ideas to test this laptop. Any ideas? Thank you in advance.

I would say, to find out if it is software or hardware, image the drive to that spare drive u had from another laptop. If it works perfectly on a seperate drive, hardware, if it doesn't, software. And I would just backup all the data and do a fresh reload, it could be just screwed up windows.

that is a good idea, but I don't think the company have any spare laptops for me to image...all the laptops are used for workstations, the spare i have is only held here temporarily so basically its not mine to really use...since the user just dropped it here for a couple days, i dont think he'll appreciate if i imaged his hdd with another one =)

since its a laptop used for work, there aren't many important files there, most of them are already backed up...applications/programs are easy to install as well

Yeah, it does seem to be a Software issue if you said doing a Hard Drive test showed no errors, that would be your best option though if you had the chance. Otherwise, you've done pretty much everything I have, only last suggestions are try a:

Chkdsk /f /r
and
sfc /scannow (requires windows installation disc) - Warning however - If you have a computer running XP with SP3/IE8 and u run a disc of SP2 or lower, it can cause problems (fixable) to reactive windows afterwards..

nvm i got permission to image the drive onto the network, i will try this and hopefully post back in 2-3 hours

Have you tried running Ccleaner or any other registry tools? I've found that orphaned entries in the registry left over from years of install\uninstall\etc sometimes can bog things down. It's worth a shot, anyway, if you are convinced the drive is physically OK and there aren't any services starting up and slowing everything down.

i ran Ccleaner and Advance System care which does the same thing...

it really didn't help much, im waiting for the full diagnostics to be over so I can run the chkdisk before copying the image over to a spare hdd to test if its the system or the hardware itself

What does HD Tune read for the spin and cache rate. Age of the system? The swapped out HDD was the laptop newer or older. How much RAM in this system?

Okay if those two cleaning programs didn't help then that HDD needs to be replaced even a faster one @ 5400 to 7200rpm and larger cache.

the company usually order a bunch of laptop together...i believe the two laptops are the same age...both have the same hardware and driver updates, 2 gb ram

so as the above said, it could be a bad image...which i will test out and reply within 3 hours

image is complete, ok not the results i was expecting but, the spare laptop went straight to blue screen after reaching boot-up screen =), perfect

BSOD says:

STOP: c0000145 {Application Error}
The Application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000005). Click on OK to terminate the application

After doing the image did you go straight into safe mode? After doing an image and putting a drive in another laptop, the chipset / any drivers may be different and could possibly fail on startup, so you have to go into safe mode, uninstall ALL listed drivers. Restart in normalmode and install proper drivers..

well I just thought of this just now...when I got the atapi error which maybe has to do with the DVD drive

I swapped back and forth trying to see if i can just repair the OS, but it doesnt read the DVD...

its possible that the computer itself can't register the drive, and maybe thats causing it to be slow because its trying to find the drive...

I'm running the diagnostics for the drive as we speak.

tried it, completed the image, removed dvd drive, ran chkdsk everything, still giving me a blue screen. I guess this case should be closed since now its a software problem and not a hardware problem

the original and the spare both got BSOD...

Back