Windows 10 hits 800 million installs, likely to reach one billion milestone this year

midian182

Staff member
Why it matters: The number of active devices running Windows 10 is getting ever closer that one billion target. Microsoft has announced that the latest version of its OS now has over 800 million installs, just a few months after becoming the world's most popular desktop operating system.

The news comes after Net Market Share announced in January that Windows 10’s worldwide market share (39.22 percent) had finally passed Windows 7 (36.09 percent). This had been on the cards for a while, as shown by Windows 10 reaching 700 million devices last year.

When Windows 10 launched in 2015, Microsoft said it hoped the software would be installed on one billion devices by 2018. A year later, the company admitted this vision was overly optimistic, but it’s now just 200 million installs away from that original target. If Windows 10’s popularity continues to increase at the current rate, it should be running on one billion devices before the end of 2019.

One factor that will be driving Windows 10 uptake is Windows 7 entering its final 12 months of extended support. From January 14, 2020, only paying businesses and education customers will receive extended security updates (ESUs) for Windows 7, and they don’t come cheap.

In addition to revealing the latest figures, Microsoft Corp’s Corporate Vice President of Modern Life & Devices, Yusuf Mehdi, tweeted that Windows 10 had the highest customer satisfaction in the history of Windows. That may come as a surprise, given the questions over its approach to privacy a few years ago. Since then, however, Microsoft has given users more control over how their data is used. The company also admitted that the malware-like tactics it introduced to get people to upgrade went too far.

Permalink to story.

People take jabs at Windows 8, but I can honestly say, it's easily the best Windows I've ever used.

It runs stable.

I built my desktop with very good components, i97980, DDR4 32GB, 2080Ti, but I've also used Windows 10 on Core i7, i5 and Core i3. So long as you have 8GB of RAM, the system runs fine. Gamers need just 16GB of RAM. Having an SSD makes this the fastest Windows I've ever used and expedites the auto-updates.

It's as simple to use as Windows XP, but has the visual style of 8.1.

My biggest problem with Windows 8 was the lack of obvious icons - like they were trying to hide everything. Windows 8.1 brought back things like the start button.

But even in Windows 10, legacy items like [MY COMPUTER] and [CONTROL PANEL] are reduced or hidden until you resurface them.

Bottom Line: Windows needs to STAY WINDOWS.

Trying to copy Apple's minimalist styling (reducing control panel to a Gear) only hurts consumer ratings.

Consumers of Windows 10 mostly want everything to be as obvious as they were on Windows XP.

I absolutely DO NOT want to have to memorize CTRL, ALT or FN combinations.

Trying to copy Apple's minimalist styling (reducing control panel to a Gear) only hurts consumer ratings.

I disagree about this to an extent. As an IT professional, the Control Panel makes senses because I've used it for years and I know my way around it. But for the average user, aside from "Apps [Programs] & Features" and "Devices & Printers", the Control Panel was confusing and useless. For them the Settings UI is a probably a welcomed change. I would welcome it as well if it could do everything the Control Panel could. For example, after nearly 4 years there's still no way to join a PC to a domain from the Settings UI.

Last edited:
People take jabs at Windows 8, but I can honestly say, it's easily the best Windows I've ever used.

It runs stable.

I built my desktop with very good components, i97980, DDR4 32GB, 2080Ti, but I've also used Windows 10 on Core i7, i5 and Core i3. So long as you have 8GB of RAM, the system runs fine. Gamers need just 16GB of RAM. Having an SSD makes this the fastest Windows I've ever used and expedites the auto-updates.

It's as simple to use as Windows XP, but has the visual style of 8.1.

My biggest problem with Windows 8 was the lack of obvious icons - like they were trying to hide everything. Windows 8.1 brought back things like the start button.

But even in Windows 10, legacy items like [MY COMPUTER] and [CONTROL PANEL] are reduced or hidden until you resurface them.

Bottom Line: Windows needs to STAY WINDOWS.

Consumers of Windows 10 mostly want everything to be as obvious as they were on Windows XP.

I absolutely DO NOT want to have to memorize CTRL, ALT or FN combinations.

The biggest issue in Windows 8 - bad UI scaling, which Windows 10 improved a lot. You would know, if you were to use a 4K or 5K monitor, which you're probably not :)

I still prefer win 8.1
MS is now expert in malware-like tactics so I don't believe their numbers except for pre installed systems (the reason why 10 is popular now).
If they made win 7.1 would that be much better?????

Very happy with Windows 10 as a platform. Each Windows has generally gotten better with ease of use and compatibility.

Microsoft store on the other hand.....

The biggest issue in Windows 8 - bad UI scaling, which Windows 10 improved a lot. You would know, if you were to use a 4K or 5K monitor, which you're probably not :)

I have an Alienware curved 34" Gaming Monitor at home running on a 2080Ti. You can see it in my profile pic.

At work I have a Dell 5K curved 49".

Hopefully Dell will build that same monitor for Alienware owners.

"If Windows 10’s popularity continues to increase at the current rate, it should be running on one billion devices before the end of 2019."

I doubt that...

Indeed Windows 10 is the best Windows yet. I like to use it and it's fluid operation is a joy everytime. The new settings menu is coming together quite nicely. It is hard to find too much fault about this OS.

"Microsoft says the OS has the highest customer satisfaction in Windows' history".
You know, I agree I really like the new dark theme for File Explorer too.

I STILL hate that they removed the free disk space from the status bar though.

I'll agree the new Settings is simpler for new users, but it still lacks power user and administrator functions on a lot of things. There are still several things you can only do with the old Control Panel applets. But as far as the UI goes I think it is ugly and visually bland. No more color or somewhat complex icons means it takes longer for me to find what I want; requiring more reading text. Icons exist for a reason, to make something fast and easy to identify. Their bland and colorless icons defeat the entire purpose of icons. Might as well just remove them...

"Microsoft says the OS has the highest customer satisfaction in Windows' history"
Microsoft might say it, but who believes it? Who are they trying to kid? Go online and seek the complaints and questions that noone at microsoft seems to be able to answer! There are dozens. Windows 7 wasn't perfect by any means, but in my opinion it was many times more stable than Windows 10 which simply crashes constantly yet doesn't give enough information to find out why. Every crash is a different generic reason. Updating drivers ... doesn't stop it. Memory check - all good. sfc - clean, Disks checked - all good. Everything checks OK... oops, another crash! and yet another non-specific reason. And File explorer, good at the basics, but hard to customize, and the tree keeps disappearing and doesn't follow folder selection - I could go on by why do things that used to work in earlier versions not work in this one?

Since W10 launch there's been many issues and complaints about it with updates and drivers and instability so I call heavy BS on this. Even memes were made about W10 update interrupting people with stuff like the video above.

So, the most complained-about Windows in history, both due to its installation without consent, and its privacy issues, is suddenly the 'best' regarded.

On what planet do you exist, Microsoft.

I am aghast you would even publicly say that.

Like MJ caught with another kid, you gonna believe him?

Windows 10 will eventually be matured to the levels of Windows 7 and 8.1....I"ll give it till year 2025.

Back