Windows 10 is now installed on 600 million devices

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Microsoft on Wednesday said 600 million devices are now running Windows 10. It’s Microsoft’s second OS statistics update of the year – in May, the company confirmed its latest operating system was installed on 500 million devices.

CEO Satya Nadella revealed the figure during Microsoft’s annual shareholders meeting on Wednesday according to a report from GeekWire.

It’s worth noting that the new figure, as with earlier updates, encompasses all sorts of devices running Windows 10 – from PCs and tablets to HoloLens headsets, Xbox One consoles and Surface Hubs – that have been “active” within the past 28 days.

Microsoft originally intended to get Windows 10 installed on one billion devices by 2018. A year after launch, however, Microsoft conceded that its goal was a bit too ambitious and that it would take longer than anticipated to reach the milestone. Just how much longer it’ll take, however, is unknown.

Installations have slowed considerably ever since Microsoft halted its free upgrade offer and things are expected to slow even more once an accessibility “loophole” is closed next month. Microsoft also pulled the plug on Windows Phone earlier this year, further limiting opportunities to get Windows 10 installed on devices.

Microsoft additionally revealed during its shareholders meeting that it would be expanding its board to 14 people, the largest number in the company’s history. Nadella and crew also recently announced plans to renovate Microsoft's Redmond-based campus as part of a multi-year project.

Second image courtesy Jake Bullinger

Permalink to story.

Hi Shawn! Great article. (y)Thanks. If you want the free upgrade, I have heard you can still get it, but you better hurry. I think that it will end in December.

What is the number of Win10 uninstalls and Win7 installs? I know of one person in my extended family that runs Win10 - which was forced into it by Microsoft deceiving them. They hate it.

Hi @ShagnWagn They had 30 days to roll back. Those of us that were smart, created a back up image before the upgrade and a back up image after the upgrade. I can roll back and forth any time I choose. People have always hated it when Microsoft comes out with a new OS. There are W10 lovers and W10 haters. There are Trump lovers and Trump haters. I will just say I'm a w10 lover and not comment on Trump.:D:p

Hi @ShagnWagn They had 30 days to roll back. Those of us that were smart, created a back up image before the upgrade and a back up image after the upgrade. I can roll back and forth any time I choose. People have always hated it when Microsoft comes out with a new OS. There are W10 lovers and W10 haters. There are Trump lovers and Trump haters. I will just say I'm a w10 lover and not comment on Trump.:D:p

They were never offered a rollback option that I know of. It is buried in the menu system. They are also a typical user and just tried to live with it and did not let me know until a couple months after piling frustration.

I personally would probably be using Win10 if it weren't for the telemetry, major and minor privacy issues, and customer deception. It was only "free" because they are making money off of you - one way or another. Nothing in this world is free.

I stayed on DOS/Win 3.1 until Win98 SE came out. I tried ME and hated it. I stayed on 98SE for a while after 2000 was released then I switched. I think it was a year or so after XP was released before I went to XP. I jumped on Vista and got screwed. I went to Win7 early after release and was pleased and still up to this day. I won't touch Win10, but I may be forced into it at work. I guess the only way I would use it at home would be the enterprise version. The only reason why I run windows is because of my library of games that won't run on Linux. Glad you like 10, but sorry you don't mind giving up your personal information. This makes companies feel it is ok to violate our privacy, as the cell phone industry has forced us into.

The wife's windows 10 phone was updated last week. We have 2 windows 8.1 phones that have kept on running without problems. The store is open. explorer works.

Back