Windows 10 is now installed on over 900 million devices

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In brief: Microsoft’s Windows 10 is now installed on more than 900 million devices globally. Yusuf Mehdi, corporate vice president of the Windows and devices group, revealed the factoid on Twitter earlier today along with the admission that more new Windows 10 devices have been added in the last 12 months than ever before.

When Microsoft launched Windows 10 in the summer of 2015, the company set a goal of one billion installs by 2018. A year later, however, Redmond backtracked on that forecast, admitting that it may have been a bit too optimistic out of the gate.

Over the years, Microsoft has systematically grown its Windows 10 install base. In March, the company surpassed the 800 million milestone and now, 900 million. The next stop is indeed that mythical billion user mark.

Whether or not Microsoft will reach the one billion install mark before the end of 2019 remains to be seen. Any other year, I’d lean towards the company not hitting the goal but with Windows 7 inching ever closer to its January 14, 2020 end-of-life date, we’re inevitably going to see more systems migrate to the newer OS and others replacing older systems with new Windows 10-equipped hardware.

What do you think? Will Microsoft hit one billion Windows 10 installs before the calendar rolls over to 2020? Let us know in the comments section below.

Permalink to story.

My PC is one of those 900 million devices with installed Windows 10, but I don't use the OS as my daily OS. Does that count?!

Yeah, after upgrade to new PC, You have no choice, but the hiccups are spoiling the experience, and seems not to be going away.
4 year old OS by the way.

Not a single computer in my house running windows

Well then, the headline should read: Eight million nine hundred ninety-nine thousand nine hundred ninety-six devices use Windows.

You're welcome...;)

With this dominance in the market place and the tactic's they have used to get there make them a definite target for the anti-trust crowd as well as those that see size being the obvious incentive for being anti-competitive. The argument that "we can't afford to loose them" is arguable, especially when you consider how many governmental and military applications that rely on them all of which creates that little, yet powerful law that allows the government to seize control of the company for the good of the nation.

Oh yes, and before you blast me and say it can't happen .... go back and look at your history. During times of conflict the US Govt. has implemented this several times and Supreme Court reviews found it perfectly legal.

So OS upgrades is cheating?
Do you not remember the non-consensual upgrade a lot of people got? People who simply wanted to close the window didn't realize that Microsoft had "accidentally" made the close button actually approve the install.

And I wouldn't be surprised if they used other shady statistics, just like anyone wanting to push a political view will manipulate or cherry pick data to get the desired "statistical data". As far as we know those upgrades from 7 to 10 that failed were counted as installs, or upgrades that kept failing and rebooting was counted as an install each time it rebooted. Oh and they probably count those who installed it and then decided to go back to Windows 7 instead too.

So yeah, an OS upgrade is cheating.

How many of those were voluntary installs?

14 years ago Microsoft's Windows XP was the joke of the world for 80% of their screens being covered in web browser tools bars...it's clear the general population is too stupid for their own good. Microsoft's aggressive stance was a necessary evil. Otherwise these same individuals would be running Windows 7 well after it's end-of-support date.

So OS upgrades is cheating?
No, but offering anything to Homo densostupidus FREE, is cheating! It's like putting a worm on the end of a fish hook. And then well, trying to force the issue by placing time constraints on it is, "cheating even harder".

microsoft-installs-new-update-on-windows-7-8-1-to-nag-about-windows-10-upgrade-505879-2.jpg

I've had Windows update turned off, and ran some machines air gapped for years, so apparently, "I didn't get the memo"..

More here:

https://news.softpedia.com/news/mic...-to-nag-about-windows-10-upgrade-505879.shtml

Last edited:
My PC is one of those 900 million devices with installed Windows 10, but I don't use the OS as my daily OS. Does that count?!

Same here. I have a tablet that I use to tune my 1999 Camaro. I always leave it on airplane mode and don't even use it for the internet. I had an issue with it one time while running a live diagnostics on my brothers truck. Stupid thing didn't warn me that it was updating and it took 15 mins for it to load to windows after all that bull$hit.

14 years ago Microsoft's Windows XP was the joke of the world for 80% of their screens being covered in web browser tools bars...it's clear the general population is too stupid for their own good. Microsoft's aggressive stance was a necessary evil. Otherwise these same individuals would be running Windows 7 well after it's end-of-support date.
Firsr, you only have to pluralize the noun in this phrase, "tools bars". Like this, "tool bars". "Tool" is very often (and in this case), used as an adjective. As an example, "so & so is a 'tool'".

Second, the only "browser tool bar" I see on XP, is at the top of Firefox, exactly where one is supposed to be./

So, it stands to reason, that while XP was tentatively,"fool proof", it was never intended to be "imbecile proof".

Much to most of interweb security comes from the browser and security software being employed, not as much from M$ updates.

So point being, I'm not about to crap my pants because Windows 7 has reached "EOL" status.

If you 'd like to crap your pants for me over that, be my guest. But just remember you're doing it voluntarily, and of your own free will..

Back