Windows 10 Nov 30 cumulative update problem

S

senketsu

It finally happened to me. I had the latest build
November 14, 2017—KB4048955 (OS Build 16299.64
Windows Update installed this:
November 30, 2017—KB4051963 (OS Build 16299.98
the install reboot was successful, but the next reboot, well, first time for 'screen of death' in Win 10 for me.
from a command prompt, I used 'diskpart' and 'list volume' and discovered my C drive was now my F drive so cannot boot into windows. Even looking in BIOS only Windows Boot loader showed, none of my other hard drives. Nothing I could figure out to do was helping until I used a USB drive I created a Win 10 install on (using MS tool). This allowed the OS to repair it, by rolling the OS back. Now I can boot into windows, but I noticed some small changes, like some files I had deleted were back. All drives show in UEFI bios as well now.
Of course the update wants to be installed so I used the option to delay updates for 30 days.
Some digging found a post that said if I disconnect all other drives than C, then update, then reconnect other drives should work. Will try later as I must have aged a year during this.

Well, I got tired of wondering, so I pulled the power connector off of every HD, left optical drive and NVMe SSD (C drive) hooked up. Checked windows update, said I was up to date so I went and downloaded the standalone installer (linked in first post). Installed it, rebooted to windows, did some restart's, some shut down, wait and start. All seemed o.k. so I plugged in the rest of the drives and it works, checked version number and now I am at 16299.98, updated from 16299.64.
Some people have had problems with the display being 'stretched', I did too, but only on the boot screen. This has been fixed for me. We will see how it goes (crosses fingers)

Hi! Great information. It seems that you have the latest build. You did a great job in trouble shooting and fixing your issues with the Windows updates. Your thread will be a great help to all members here on TS.
I have the latest build. I did not experience any of your issues,but I have a very simple PC. Always a good idea to disconnect every thing but drive with Os, mouse, and KB when doing these major updates. Great job. Thanks!

Looks complicated is about all I can say. Things have changed. For example my computer has a UEFI and is in Secure Boot mode. Something else I have never seen is that when I saw the drive letters were rearranged I thought starting up with the boot menu would do it (pick F which actually was C, when computer gets into windows reassign drive letters) Boot menu only had 'windows loader' or something to that effect. So I restarted, got into the UEFI bios and no drives listed there either, just same message as Boot menu. After the automatic repair after I put the USB drive in, I was able to get into windows. I also checked Bios and all drives were showing up. Boot drive is NVMe SSD. Don't know if that complicates things.
Untitled.jpg
The November 30th 'failed to install' was what Windows Update delivered. The December 1st was the install from the standalone installer with all drives except boot disconnected.

This is the only thing I can find in the Event Viewer:
Untitled.jpg
Notice the Source says StartupRepair

I hope this is an isolated case, but in case I am going to be one of many I thought I'd post

Hi Thanks for your reply. Maybe those here on TS smarter then myself will comment or have questions for you.
It's great that you were able to recover. I hope you are making regular backup images. That's the best recovery you can ever have. I always make one before and after major updates. I always have a image I can restore to, that I know will put me back exactly like the day I created the image(y);)

WUA Success and Error Codes
The Windows Update Agent (WUA) API can return the following success or error codes for non-network operations:
Untitled.jpg
all this is above me, but here it is, this is the error of the failed install

Back