Windows 10 now runs on more than 200 million devices

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Microsoft Chief Marketing Officer Chris Capossela hinted last month that we could expect a new Windows 10 milestone in early January. That time has arrived and true to word, the Redmond-based company has revealed that Windows 10 is now active on more than 200 million devices around the world.

As Paul Thurrott explains, this is only the second time that Microsoft has provided official usage figures. Shortly after launch in late August, Microsoft revealed that its new OS was running on more than 75 million devices worldwide. We learned (albeit unofficially) in late September that Windows 10 had crossed the 100 million mark.

How did Microsoft manage to add 125 million additional users so quickly? By adding non-PC devices.

The 75 million figure consisted entirely of PCs, most of which were upgrades from earlier versions of Windows (a feat that's impressive in its own right as upgrading isn't usually a smooth process). Now, Windows 10 is on the Xbox One, a handful of new Lumia smartphones and even on some IoT devices.

What's really interesting is the fact that Windows 10 installations are apparently accelerating. Microsoft noted that more than 40 percent of the new Windows 10 devices became active following Black Friday. Perhaps even more telling is that 76 percent of Microsoft's enterprise customers are currently trialing Windows 10 (such customers are known to cling to older versions of software for reliability and compatibility sake).

Permalink to story.

It would be more interesting to learn of Win10 uninstallations since it's a piece of shovelware that is pre-loaded onto everything that Microsoft can force it onto. If they could preload microwaves with Win10 to make their figures look good, they would.

Hmmmmm ..... maybe I have Win10 loaded in my own microwave .... since most of the time it dosen't work and when it does, it incinerates the food to usefulness. Yep, that sounds like another one of those pesky "undocumented features" they used to refer to ......

There are a lot of instances when TechSpot's Chamber of Commerce propaganda is actually painful to read.
This is one of them.

Completely false headline. Microsoft's claims are not only unverified but contradict EVERY iota of data provided by independent sources. This is a major bit of egg on your face, Techspot..you need to issue a retraction ASAP.

Microsoft / Windows 10 haters gotta hate...

W10 is by far the best OS out there. Microsoft managed a feat that nobody else could - single operating system across multiple platforms. They are gearing up for the day that your main hardware will be a phone-sized device that you pop onto a docking station; the dock could contain GPU(s), CPU(s) and storage depending on what was needed. It will work as a phone, tablet, desktop, gaming console, etc... Sure, W10 has some growing pains, but what OS wouldn't when trying to do so much. Just wait, in a few years you won't even remember W7.

It's not a bad OS and you can cut short most of it's calls to home if you know how to configure it properly, uninstall all the bloatware, forget about the app store (it's pretty forgettable as it stands) and and use it like you used Win 7. Of course I'm referring to the desktop, not mobile devices although I don't know who'd want a mobile running Win 10 right now.

Last edited:
It's not a bad OS and you can cut short most of it's calls to home if you know how to configure it properly, uninstall all the bloatware, forgot about the app store (it's pretty forgettable as it stands) and and use it like you used Win 7. Of course I'm referring to the desktop, not mobile devices although I don't know who'd want a mobile running Win 10 right now.

Do you have a link or three on configuring? I don't use it cause of bandwidth restrictions with Exede. I would like to though. I have an extra computer I could try it out on. I see plenty of programs that claim they do it all for the user but am dubious of those

W10 is by far the best OS out there. Microsoft managed a feat that nobody else could - single operating system across multiple platforms. They are gearing up for the day that your main hardware will be a phone-sized device that you pop onto a docking station; the dock could contain GPU(s), CPU(s) and storage depending on what was needed. It will work as a phone, tablet, desktop, gaming console, etc... Sure, W10 has some growing pains, but what OS wouldn't when trying to do so much. Just wait, in a few years you won't even remember W7.

"Microsoft managed a feat that nobody else could - single operating system across multiple platforms." A feat that benefits who? Only Microsoft really. This is the very reason Windows 10 sucks. A one-size fits all approach was a terrible idea because phones, tablets, and desktops are not supposed to be treated the same. All in the name of a consistent UI?

The world got along just fine with the Android operating system on cellphones before Microsoft came along. Windows 10 on cellphones and tablets is just another choice for consumers.

"They are gearing up for the day that your main hardware will be a phone-sized device that you pop onto a docking station; the dock could contain GPU(s), CPU(s) and storage depending on what was needed. "

This statement makes absolutely no sense. If the dock contains all the hardware you need, the implication is that the "phone-sized device" holds your data. We already have USB flash drives, portable drives, and the wonderful cloud to take care of making our data portable. Sounds like the future got here a few minutes before you realized it.

Do you have a link or three on configuring? I don't use it cause of bandwidth restrictions with Exede. I would like to though. I have an extra computer I could try it out on. I see plenty of programs that claim they do it all for the user but am dubious of those
Yup. Let Jerry show you how it's done, he's good. An ex developer for MS who got shown the door during their culling rampage. He's got a chip on his shoulder and I can't say I blame him. Enjoy it.

200M sounds a lot but when you compare it to Windows 7 it's not impressive.

Now I like Windows 10 but it's a shame that you have to spend time configuring it and disabling it's features to gain privacy. It should work out of the box. Automatic updates are also annoying and the fact that Microsoft will reset some of your privacy settings once it updates without notifying you.

I'm not surprised there's been a big increase in installs considering the massive "Install Me, I'm Great" window that appears every time I log into my PC. Some day I'm going to mis-hit that tiny X in the corner and then I'll be frantically searching online for how to uninstall it. I might have to format my SSD to be absolutely sure I killed it.

"Microsoft managed a feat that nobody else could - single operating system across multiple platforms." A feat that benefits who? Only Microsoft really. This is the very reason Windows 10 sucks. A one-size fits all approach was a terrible idea because phones, tablets, and desktops are not supposed to be treated the same. All in the name of a consistent UI?

The world got along just fine with the Android operating system on cellphones before Microsoft came along. Windows 10 on cellphones and tablets is just another choice for consumers.

"They are gearing up for the day that your main hardware will be a phone-sized device that you pop onto a docking station; the dock could contain GPU(s), CPU(s) and storage depending on what was needed. "

This statement makes absolutely no sense. If the dock contains all the hardware you need, the implication is that the "phone-sized device" holds your data. We already have USB flash drives, portable drives, and the wonderful cloud to take care of making our data portable. Sounds like the future got here a few minutes before you realized it.

Apparently you can't read or your Microsoft / Windows 10 hate is blocking any creative thinking.
1. Single device - no more desktop, tablet, phone, to worry about, just one pocket sized piece of hardware that contains your OS.
2. Docking station "could" (not would) contain additional hardware depending on the user's needs. If they are a gamer, they would have a dock with a GPU. Maybe you can think of the rest of the scenarios yourself.

Yup. Let Jerry show you how it's done, he's good. An ex developer for MS who got shown the door during their culling rampage. He's got a chip on his shoulder and I can't say I blame him. Enjoy it.
I watched most of that video last night. From what I saw it is worse then I thought. I am still going to do an install and mostly stay offline as I learn and the guys continue efforts to stop the madness with MS calling home. Thanks for the post. Most appreciated

Apparently you can't read or your Microsoft / Windows 10 hate is blocking any creative thinking.
1. Single device - no more desktop, tablet, phone, to worry about, just one pocket sized piece of hardware that contains your OS.
2. Docking station "could" (not would) contain additional hardware depending on the user's needs. If they are a gamer, they would have a dock with a GPU. Maybe you can think of the rest of the scenarios yourself.

I don't necessarily hate Windows 10. I just wish they would give us back rounded corners. They have already given up 99.99% of the whole farm. It's like they're holding onto this 1 request just to "pretend" they stood their ground. The Windows 7 tidal wave of consumer backlash already owned Microsoft. Just give it up already. Rounded corners. If you wanna make it an option for people who want it, that's fine too.

And lastly, I still have no clue what you are trying to describe. If I am a gamer and I have a dock at home and the dock has a GPU in it, then what is actually in my single portable device? My OS? Wtf? LOL. I don't think you actually know what your talking about...but if you think you do I guess that is good enough for me. *face palm*.

We have 32/64/128/256? GB micro SD cards now. Why would I have to carry a copy of my OS around with me? If anything the stationary dock should be able to load up any one of multiple operating systems on a whim giving the increased storage capacities of our current time.

And lastly, I still have no clue what you are trying to describe. If I am a gamer and I have a dock at home and the dock has a GPU in it, then what is actually in my single portable device? My OS? Wtf? LOL. I don't think you actually know what your talking about...but if you think you do I guess that is good enough for me. *face palm*.

We have 32/64/128/256? GB micro SD cards now. Why would I have to carry a copy of my OS around with me? If anything the stationary dock should be able to load up any one of multiple operating systems on a whim giving the increased storage capacities of our current time.

Wow, just wow. Not everyone wants carry a full gaming laptop with them everywhere they go, that why there has been a bigger push for external gpu docks. You carry around a light variant of your laptop that has better power efficiency and is lighter when your working and then plug it in to the dock when you want to game at full spec. What about that concept is so hard to wrap your head around?

Back