Windows 10 October 2018 Update continues to be a headache for Microsoft

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Windows 10 October 2018 Update (version 1809) continues to be a headache for Microsoft. After pausing the launch in October due to a file deletion bug, the rollout resumed nearly two weeks ago following rigorous internal testing.

Thurrott on Monday brought to attention a Microsoft support document highlighting two known issues with version 1809.

After installing the update, Microsoft notes that users may not be able to use the Seek Bar in Windows Media Player when playing specific files. Thurrott tested the bug and sure enough, it’s there, regardless of if you use Windows Media Player in its normal window or via the Now Playing window.

Microsoft said it is working on a resolution and will provide an update “in an upcoming release.”

The other issue sounds a bit more frustrating, preventing some users from setting Win32 program defaults for certain app and file types. In some cases, simply trying to set application defaults again will work but a true fix won’t be ready until late November 2018 according to Microsoft.

The latter issue doesn’t appear to have been caused by the latest update as it was detailed in this support document on October 9 (and it sounds like it may have been lingering for years).

Permalink to story.

A headache for Microsoft you say, well that is a huge understatement. Obviously what does Microsoft know about testing before release? They let us consumers be the Guinna Pigs. My engineer friend just lost everything on his PC after he did that Windows 10 Update. No more working new computer build for him for a couple of weeks anyhow. No to mention all the programs he had to reinstall. Listen to these words of wisdom please. "If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix-It". Let the others that won't listen be your Guinna Pig and then you can learn from their misakes of what not to do.

Ie: on super clean boxes that don't have any other software installed LOL.

"the rollout resumed nearly two weeks ago following rigorous internal testing"

The other issue sounds a bit more frustrating, preventing some users from setting Win32 program defaults for certain app and file types. In some cases, simply trying to set application defaults again will work but a true fix won’t be ready until late November 2018 according to Microsoft.
Really? I thought that was a "feature"? ;-P Seriously, every time I set Adobe Acrobat as my default PDF viewer, then half the updates Microsoft installs resets it back to Edge. Grrr. I don't even want to use your crappi-arse Edge as a browser why would I want to use it as a PDF viewer as well? And yes I've tried the 1809 Edge. Still sucks, sorry guys.

If Microsoft gets their way they will stop using Win32 apps entirely. Then the OS will just be another locked down, restrictive, uncustomizable piece of mobile software in the market.

The cloud is taking over guys... get ready. SkyNet is real.

It's a much bigger headache for people who got the update and lost their ****. How can a company like Microsoft be so incompetent at updating the only thing that makes them relevant? Drop the "Windows as a service" garbage and release another version of Windows with fixes, like what 7 was to Vista.

I found a fix. Fire all staff members that are related to Windows 10. Give all customers Windows 7 then add Direct X12 but even right now Direct X 12 is kinda a disappointment. Some things get better as they age like wine but Microsoft ages like Milk in a broken refrigerator.

Last edited:
Still have no issue with any update so far from MS. No docs have been lost, nor do I store important things there to being with, no sound issues, who actually uses WMP, no issue with Edge although I don't use it a lot but haven't come across anything.

I've been having major issues with Windows 10 1803 crashing constantly mostly with the mouse and keyboard just freezing completely and nothing can be done except a physical power off. Many have been reporting this behaviour for years but noone at Microsoft seems to have been able to track down why it happens.
Drivers all up to date, Registry clean, Update wouldn't work, restore failed, repair failed. In the end nothing to do but start again with a clean install. I guess I shouldn't complain as I've been updating rather than reinstalling for about 20 years! So far 1809 is behaving perfectly but I don't have many of my applications installed yet! All my docs etc are on other drives that were physically disconnected during the install so no working documents or files were lost.

Do what I do, and defer the security updates by 30 days and 'feature' updates by 60 days. This of course still doesn't excuse Microsoft's poor testing.

A headache for Microsoft you say, well that is a huge understatement. Obviously what does Microsoft know about testing before release? They let us consumers be the Guinna Pigs. My engineer friend just lost everything on his PC after he did that Windows 10 Update. No more working new computer build for him for a couple of weeks anyhow. No to mention all the programs he had to reinstall. Listen to these words of wisdom please. "If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix-It". Let the others that won't listen be your Guinna Pig and then you can learn from their misakes of what not to do.
Your engineer friend put a insider build on his main PC?

I found a very useful fix that seems to work on just about every Windows 10 Update problem. I simply just use my computer in-between OS crashes. Works every time.

Your engineer friend put a insider build on his main PC?
It was not just pushed out to insiders.

Gee,I dont know what the problems are
I built a new system 3 years ago and havent ever had a problem ,lock up,blue screen or anything else happen
oops,im sorry,I forgot ,im still running windows 7 with all ties to microsoft turned off
no updates ,no telemetry,no forced nothing!
I hardened my system against ms,I'll take my chances with a system I CONTROL

The whole windows 10 is a headache. One of the worst OS by microsoft. Even win 8.1 is more stable (and faster)
The updating has always been a hassle with their Win10, b
They need to retire the NT kernel and make a lean, mean Windows shell for X. Its time.
The NT kernel is fine, it is their crappy updating practices and apps that are the problem. I miss the days when they didn't do this Windows as a service crap and didn't have these metro apps, trying to force tablet mode on the entire OS. I think Windows 2000 Pro and XP were my favorite MS OS's.

NT kernel is its own beast though and there are so many advantages to it over Linux that it would be a massive problem to try and shoehorn Windows as we know it into Linux. It would end up another disaster in the sea of Linux distributions. I'm not saying Linux distro's are bad, but they just don't really go anywhere large scale.

Please be patient folks, just another 5 or so years and it will be perfected.
By then, they Microsoft will renig on the statement Windows 10 is the last OS they intend on producing and come out with Windows 11. Then the slush fund begins all over again in Cryptocurrency.

Back