Windows 10 Setup's error messages are about to get much better

Polycount

Staff

Error messages are the norm for PC users, but that doesn't make them any less frustrating when they pop up; particularly when they don't offer much in the way of actionable information.

Poorly-explained errors filled with seemingly random letters and numbers can often force you to spend hours desperately Googling an issue that may be relatively simple to fix. Microsoft's Windows error messages are certainly no exception to this irritating trend, and can be some of the worst offenders.

Fortunately, it seems Microsoft is taking it upon themselves to remedy the situation - somewhat. As reported by Ars Technica (via WinFuture), the company is rolling out an improved version of their Windows 10 Setup error messages in the OS' upcoming April Update.

As seen in the image above, Windows 10's Setup system will soon tell you precisely what a given issue is, while giving you clear directions to solve it.

For example, if you're upgrading to Windows 10 and you have certain apps that are incompatible with the OS, Windows 10 Setup will let you know what those apps are while prompting you to get rid of them. In some cases, it seems that a direct "Uninstall" button will be included right in the Setup window, though some apps will require more manual action on the user's part.

If the issue can't be fixed with a simple program uninstall, Windows 10 Setup will also include a "Learn more" button, which will take you directly to the appropriate section of Microsoft's Knowledge Base when clicked.

Of course, simply improving the quality of Windows 10 Setup's errors only addresses one small part of a much bigger problem (the dreaded Blue Screens of Death could use some work).

However, it's still a step in the right direction for Microsoft, and hopefully an indication that other parts of the Windows 10 ecosystem will receive similar error message overhauls in the future.

Permalink to story.

Speaking of Windows and better and windows: I recently lost the ability to use internet on my PC after a n update. After doing anything in my power including things I know to do and everything I found in the tutorials online, I had to reinstall it completely.

Please, no more better until updates like that are possible.

Yes, the new verbiage will be much clear so that every user can understand. No more blue screen of death but instead "Dude, your screwed!"

Speaking of Windows and better and windows: I recently lost the ability to use internet on my PC after a n update. After doing anything in my power including things I know to do and everything I found in the tutorials online, I had to reinstall it completely.

What update was this?

You are lucky that your files were not deleted :) LOL

No worries. The next version of Windows always was and will be better, the best version yet!, faster, and more trouble free. Except when it isn't.

"For example, if you're upgrading to Windows 10 and you have certain apps that are incompatible with the OS, Windows 10 Setup will let you know what those apps are while prompting you to get rid of them. In some cases, it seems that a direct "Uninstall" button will be included right in the Setup window, though some apps will require more manual action on the user's part".

Dear Mr. @Polycount While this may seem prima facia, "one giant step forward for Windowskind", it's more like one giant step backward for individual developers.

By "thoughtfully providing an uninstall button", M$ will have taken a goodly measure toward closing the system. Since they will no longer have to evaluate apps in the wild for compatibility, nor modify their updates to accommodate them.

Now they simply get to say, "uninstall your app, and get thee to the Windows Store to buy one from us which will be (compatible)".

The longer this, "we, (M$), must have complete control" sh!t with Windows 10 goes on, the worse for feeding M$'s rampant desire to be a complete monopoly.

I'm pretty frugal in my programs needs and installations, but with that said, I've only had no more than a half dozen blue screens in the past decade. Most of which simply required a reboot.

And yes kidz, that includes my XP machines.

Anything which makes this complicated technosystem a bit more explicable is appreciated. It has been reminding me of the twisty little passages in Adventure for much too long.

It would be good if they updated all the BSOD messages. Windows 10 crashes constantly with generic messages like "Memory Management" when the memory checks out perfectly, or "SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION" for who knows what, or "Ntfs ..." when the disks have all check out OK. Sometimes advice is to make sure all drivers are up to date, and if they are what happens, maybe a few less crashes!

Seriously who gives a [...... put your fav cliche here :p....] about Winblows error reporting.

No matter what they do, it'll never say 1. do this, 2. do this too. 3. and this. 4. if nothing helped jump out of the window 5. congratulations problem is fixed LOL

What M$ should really do is to bring old F8 troubleshooting menu. Abomination which replaced it, is the worst *****ic idea in the history of any and all OSes.

Back