Windows 10 update deleting files and causing Blue Screen of Death errors

midian182

Staff member
Facepalm: In these uncertain times, one thing we can still rely on is Microsoft releasing Windows updates that cause massive problems for some users. A recent ‘fix’ pushed out by the company could be one of the worst yet, resulting in Blue Screen of Death errors and deleting or moving files.

Microsoft released Windows 10 KB4549951 on April 14 to introduce several security fixes, but, as so often is the case, a number of users found it introduced more problems than it corrects.

As per usual, plenty of people found they couldn’t install the update at all, and some who did kept running into Blue Screen of Death errors. As noted by Windows Latest, the most common of these are:

• PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
  • CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED
  • ACPI_BIOS_ERROR
  • INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE
  • MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
  • DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION
  • Portcls.sys

Many of the Blue Screens of Death are appearing intermittently, requiring a PC reboot, but other users are experiencing a loop of BSOD errors, meaning their computer crashes instantly on every startup.

In addition to these major issues, users have reported files being deleted or moved to other folders following the update.

“This update is a disaster. It deleted my files, pictures, documents saved in system drive and as well as my apps which I downloaded from Windows Store,” wrote one user.

“My system automatically updated on the 19th of April. I lost some important Word files of my university. And a folder. I have looked on the temporary folders and I have tried to uninstall the update but they do not appear,” said another angry Windows 10 user.

Not everyone is experiencing problems with the update, but those who do are advised to uninstall it. Microsoft hasn’t commented on the reports, but it wouldn’t be the first time the company releases an update to fix the problems a previous update caused.

Permalink to story.

For me, it tried to update, hit some problem and rolled itself back. I was getting worried as my PC was in a cyclic reboot where it would get as far as the update starting and then would reboot maybe 5 or 6 times. Thankfully it sorted itself out and I was able to use the PC. It now says I'm up to date.

Completely anecdotal observation from me here, but I haven't yet had a single issue with any Windows 10 update. I'd love to know what the actual sample size of the people actually experiencing issues is.
If it were ~5+%, that would be really bad. If it's ~0.5%, that's probably within margin for error when you're talking about the millions of PCs and hardware/software configurations out there. Not that it makes it any less sucky for those affected, but still.

Not saying its not true and doesn't happen. but I am yet to experience this on 243 work stations since its release. same goes for win 7 when that was our main OS, never had any issues.
Same. I've got about 400 PCs under my watch and in the last 10 years, I've had maybe 2 issues with updates, and it only affected a single PC. I must have also gotten really lucky. =/

People finding their user folders moved/deleted though? That really sucks.

Completely anecdotal observation from me here, but I haven't yet had a single issue with any Windows 10 update. I'd love to know what the actual sample size of the people actually experiencing issues is.
If it were ~5+%, that would be really bad. If it's ~0.5%, that's probably within margin for error when you're talking about the millions of PCs and hardware/software configurations out there. Not that it makes it any less sucky for those affected, but still.
Same boat. And no one around me has yet to have a problem with Win10 update.
I'd also assume that of the millions upon millions of supported hardware and software configurations, there is a small percentage of outliers that could never be tested properly. Anyone who deals with code understands that sometimes complex systems have edge cases that you can't account for...

Stop installing windows 10 updates and you wont have a problem ever. There are tools that block windows 10 from talking to any Microsoft servers and removes all windows update services files. Its the only way to run such a piece of crap software that constantly sells your information out and if you dont know what your doing also turns your internet connection into traffic to host update files.

Stop installing windows 10 updates and you wont have a problem ever. There are tools that block windows 10 from talking to any Microsoft servers and removes all windows update services files. Its the only way to run such a piece of crap software that constantly sells your information out and if you dont know what your doing also turns your internet connection into traffic to host update files.

Wow those are some big words my man, are you a software engineer or something? Ooor have you been reading too many facebook posts without a tinfoil hat?

The update host is for lan connections only by default so if you have 3 computers at home your internet connection doesn't need to download everything 3 times. Sooo in fact it reduces the load on your internet -but hey let's not bother with facts?!
You have the option to turn off the feature or enable uploading features if you want!

Why don't you advocate for linux or something else if it's such a piece of crap?

That's why I download Windows ISOs which have the latest updates baked into them. Those ISOs are tested by the baker, so no bad updates included. And then I disable WU and firewall everything I do not need. By doing so I haven't experienced a single problem ever. It's the businesses that are vulnerable. Home users not so much, if at all. Just don't download viruses and learn to firewall.

Also, I'm amazed that people don't actually know that most popular OSs are designed to profile their users. People seriously have no idea how much data is gathered per user by the OS. Even Linux. Just use any professional forensics tool to check. And then gathered data is indeed sold to big businesses, who use it to exploit consumers. Everybody is doing it. For a long time. And it works: products becoming worse and worse, prices rise and businessmen gain additional yachts and sports cars into their collection. That's life in human civilization.

Last edited:
This is why I still partition my hard drives: 1 main partition for programs only. Maybe a second dedicated one for games only if the first drive gets up to 70% full (Windows OS, apps, CAD, Office, games, etc)
Then a separate one for all my files, pictures, docs, download folder, etc. I rarely every use the default user folders that Windows provides. Easier to backup, as well.

I had to help someone utilize MS's hide update tool to prevent this update from happening again. He has a couple of small programs he runs that requires ActiveX to run with them and he kept getting ActiveX not installed message when he tried to launch his programs.

He did a system restore before the update and then blocked it. If anyone wants to utilize this tool from MS for windows 10, you can find it here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026726/windows-10-hide-updates-or-driver-updates

May revert to windows 7 or linux as windows 10 is failing miserably lately
In these uncertain times Techspot comes up with the most enjoyable articles. For example take the sentence: “In these uncertain times, one thing we can still rely on is Microsoft releasing Windows updates that cause massive problems for some users.”

Q: Why do I enjoy this revelation?
A: I switched to Linux over two years ago. (Hint: Works like a charm – all the time)
(User interface is very similar to good old Windows 7.)

Since Microsoft fired the Windows testing team in 2015, that windows updates have become a minefield.
Delaying windows updates now is one of the most important settings to make sure that your PC keeps running.
Alas, in the last few minutes, my company has just disabled the ability to delay updates so now they will be installed immediately. Apparently it's because some people were delaying updates for a week. You know, sensible people. I may have been one of them :)

I have six computers in the house and three run Win 10 Pro, which enables me to kill alleged "updates" completely, using the Group Policy Editor, which is exactly what I have done, ever since an "update" appeared to remove the proper graphics driver on one machine, replacing it with some sort of generic version, offering only three resolutions, none of which matched the native resolution of the twin monitors. I managed to revert to get things back to the way they were. None of the Win 10 machines have been allowed to have an update from that day to this. They have also been stripped to the bone of what ever I can lay my hands on that's not relevant to the operating system, (Cortana, Tiles, etc.) and telemetry, etc; has also been severely restricted, using O&O's "Shut-Up". A pity that Microsoft seem to have lost their way a bit with 10.

Automatic update should be tested not just trown out there
1. you can lose your fcking work
2. if there is bugs it will totally mess up alot of systems

That's why I download Windows ISOs which have the latest updates baked into them. Those ISOs are tested by the baker, so no bad updates included. And then I disable WU and firewall everything I do not need. By doing so I haven't experienced a single problem ever. It's the businesses that are vulnerable. Home users not so much, if at all. Just don't download viruses and learn to firewall.

Also, I'm amazed that people don't actually know that most popular OSs are designed to profile their users. People seriously have no idea how much data is gathered per user by the OS. Even Linux. Just use any professional forensics tool to check. And then gathered data is indeed sold to big businesses, who use it to exploit consumers. Everybody is doing it. For a long time. And it works: products becoming worse and worse, prices rise and businessmen gain additional yachts and sports cars into their collection. That's life in human civilization.

No sir , they do not have the latest baked in to them at the time of this writing the latest ISO is as of March 26th, 2020 - well before this hit . Check your facts sir.

Same boat. And no one around me has yet to have a problem with Win10 update.
I'd also assume that of the millions upon millions of supported hardware and software configurations, there is a small percentage of outliers that could never be tested properly. Anyone who deals with code understands that sometimes complex systems have edge cases that you can't account for...

I think it depends on if you are deploying business PCs or consumer systems. I've started putting all consumer systems on the slow ring as otherwise I've run into the occasional issue.

Windows 10 has some odd issues now and then and Microsoft does a bad job at validating new updates but the OS itself is pretty darn stable.

The Commie Plot to Overthrow America

Phase 1
Corona Virus

Phase 2
Attack Hospitals / Govt. Services with ransomware

Phase 3
Phishing Attacks on Home workers

Phase 4
Microsoft Updates

Muahahahahahhahahhahahhahha

Last edited:
Back