Windows 11 23H2 update starts rolling out with Copilot AI, redesigned File Explorer, and...

DragonSlayer101

Staff
What just happened? Microsoft has begun rolling out the Windows 11 23H2 update, bringing with it a slew of new features, including Copilot AI. The rollout comes just over a month after the company released some of its latest tools using a Windows Update option that lets users receive new features as soon as they're available.

The biggest change introduced by the update is Copilot, Microsoft's AI-powered chatbot that's now available as a standalone app on the desktop. Based on Bing Chat, Copilot comes with a range of features, including the ability to change system settings or start a focus session. It is worth noting that Copilot will not be available globally right away, as Microsoft says it will initially roll out a preview version to select global markets, including North America and parts of Asia and South America, before making it available more widely.

Another notable change in 23H2 is the removal of the standalone Chat app and the addition of Microsoft Teams (Free) in its place. While Teams is pinned to the taskbar by default, you can easily remove the shortcut in a few clicks if you can't be bothered and would rather not have it clutter up your screen.

Microsoft is also making some alterations to the way applications are managed. As part of the plan, system apps will now show a 'System' label under 'All Apps' in the Start Menu. Under the existing setup, system apps are listed under 'Installed Apps' within the 'Settings' panel, but they will get their own Settings page following the update, under System > System Components. Some of the apps you'll find here include Game Bar, Microsoft Store, Phone Link, etc.

In addition to these changes, the incoming update also includes a redesigned File Explorer, RGB lighting controls, a settings page for USB4 and Thunderbolt devices, and an updated Paint app with background removal and support for layers. Other thoughtful additions include revamped Photos and Snipping Tool apps. While the former can blur the background to focus on the main subject, the latter can recognize text in screenshots and even redact parts of it to safeguard user privacy.

The 23H2 update is currently being offered as an optional update, with Microsoft saying that the auto-update process will begin "in the coming months." To get the update right away, go over to Settings, select Windows Update, and then switch on the toggle next to 'Get the latest updates as soon as they're available.' Now, simply hit 'Check for updates,' and you should be able to install Windows 11 23H2 on your device.

Permalink to story.

My everyday companion.......It'll be great to have during the holidays for a few

Oh look, another reason to stay on Windows 10.

Except for the fact that when I booted Win10 5 minutes ago the first thing I saw was Edge trying to pimp Copilot to me. I still use Chrome and hadn't clicked on Edge but there it was telling me how wonderful Copilot was. I'm getting real tired of companies thinking I don't own the stuff I paid for, and that means they're more then justified when they abuse the fact I use their product/s. Please M$ stop trying to shove your **** down my throat. I didn't ask for it nor do I want it...

Except for the fact that when I booted Win10 5 minutes ago the first thing I saw was Edge trying to pimp Copilot to me. I still use Chrome and hadn't clicked on Edge but there it was telling me how wonderful Copilot was. I'm getting real tired of companies thinking I don't own the stuff I paid for, and that means they're more then justified when they abuse the fact I use their product/s. Please M$ stop trying to shove your **** down my throat. I didn't ask for it nor do I want it...
This is exactly why I don't pay for it. I'm not paying for what is essentially a billboard. Not only that, I have installed windows 10 on about 30 machines this year and every time, try to download chrome, it's like this could be a virus are you sure u want to keep it? (that's when it actually starts the download) and then when I set to default "switch anyway" is a different font like it's not the choice of the user.

It's so obvious that it's actually painful. M$ are a pain in the ***. And gov won't do anything about their questionable practices.

Can the AI BS be uninstalled. Bad enough that Edge browser on Windows 10 is now pushing copilot BS.
Windows 12 is going to be a disaster: AI riddled and cloud-based.

As a long time Windows (ab)userI guess that it is fair game for Windows to try and abuse me. We play this little game. Windows adds crap, I break out the toilet paper. So far, I usually win. Sometimes, so as to not hurt its feelings too bad, I let it win. Edge is installed on my PC, but doesn't know that it is sandboxed....

-Tabbed explorer is so outrageously overdue, Win11 must be having a hard time with adoption if MS is tossing that in there...

Almost enough to get me to update...

Fwiw it's that and the new (and dark mode compatible) task manager that got me to switch earlier this year.

After cutting some fat and services/applications/widgets/telemetry with O&OShutup10++ and Win10Privacy, setting firewall rules to block ad telemetry traffic, and restoring the proper right click context menu with a registry hack, and a few other tweaks any average user shouldn't be expected to do...Its fine (and most of those same tweaks should be made to 10 as well anyway).

I'm pretty salty I can't have my task bar on the top of the screen without a hack that breaks functionality though.

Been a long time Win10 user (Win 7 before that), so I skipped the Vista, 8, and 8.1 shitshows. Installed Win11 on a new build the other day (Win 11 Pro, on a Xeon w/ 128GB of RAM and a speedy NVMe SSD).

Let me say, it's like they added a second layer of graphics over the main UI. It's horribly slow to respond. It's laggy AF, render times are atrocious, and it is just... clunky.

Whatever user research they did on this was a circle jerk of "users" patting themselves on the back just to justify another iteration of Windows and upsell Microsoft services.

As soon as I saw copilot, I disabled it in the taskbar, but I am 100% sure it is still working in the background gathering data from key presses and online navigation/searches.

The sad part was that I paid for my Win11 Pro license.

I am seriously considering a move to Linux. My only reason to remain on Windows is gaming, but even then...

MS can shove that Copilot garbage! We're using 365 at work and they felt compelled to add an advertisement banner into the tops of all emails with no way for users to get rid of it. An annoying suck of limited space for pushing crap down our throats that is simply pissing everyone off.

I've been using computers for decades, starting with mainframes in the nineteen-seventies, and I don't get all this bitching and whining. Windows 11 runs just fine on decent hardware, provided you keep your installation clean and everything up to date. And quit griping about the fact that there is no privacy on the internet. There never has been and never will be. With hundreds of millions of users out there, it's not like there is some big bad government official sitting at a computer all day, monitoring everything you do. Sure, your internet usage is monitored by computers in order to target ads, and to offer you stories or videos that interest you, so use an ad blocker and get on with your life. No one cares what you're doing on the internet. You aren't that special. Life is too short to worry about things that will never change. Don't you have better things to do???

I've been using computers for decades, starting with mainframes in the nineteen-seventies, and I don't get all this bitching and whining. Windows 11 runs just fine on decent hardware, provided you keep your installation clean and everything up to date. And quit griping about the fact that there is no privacy on the internet. There never has been and never will be. With hundreds of millions of users out there, it's not like there is some big bad government official sitting at a computer all day, monitoring everything you do. Sure, your internet usage is monitored by computers in order to target ads, and to offer you stories or videos that interest you, so use an ad blocker and get on with your life. No one cares what you're doing on the internet. You aren't that special. Life is too short to worry about things that will never change. Don't you have better things to do???

That you Satya?

That you Satya?
Nope. I have no association whatsoever with Microsoft, and I distrust big corporations as much as anybody. I'm just tired of people with nothing better to do with their lives than to complain about a computer operating system - one that I use all day every day to make a living, without issue. I've been running Microsoft operating systems since DOS 2.0, and have never really had a serious issue with any of them. There have been bugs here and there, but that's just part of using any computer. Life is short, people. Quit wasting it.

Back