Windows 2000: Blue screen of Death after login

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leopardson

Hi,
I am having a problem with my Windows 2000 hard drive - Whenever I login, the computer gets a blue screen of death that lasts about 1/2 a second then reboots.
I am assuming it is software related as it logs in, loads things like Nvidia config, AVG, etc, THEN crashes.

I dual-boot with Kubuntu 7.10 (Main hard drive, also has some recent problems.), and I tested my memory using Ubuntu 7.10 memtest.

I use Grub 1.5 to choose OS's or memtest, Windows and Linux are on separate hard drives.

Here are my specs:
AMD Sempron 3100+
Palit Geforce 8400 GS (Not overclocked)
1.2gb's DDR memory (1x 1gb, 1x 256mb)
Windows 2000 on one drive.
Kubuntu 7.10 on the other.

When problem started:
Yesterday, I swapped CPU's from an AMD Athlon 2800+ to an AMD Sempron 3100+.
Before, I had a problem where my computer would crash when doing 3d things, but only with the Geforce 8400, not a FireGL x3100. Setting the hyper transports from 4k to 2k fixed the problem. Problem was fixed after CPUs were switched.
Before that problem was fixed, while using the FireGL, the BSoD problem didn't exist.
Can anyone help me fix this?

Note: Problem does not persist in safe mode, as said in title.

What you explained have some possibility of overheating problems, so you will need to find out how hot the video card gets.

Also, check that you have the sufficient power from your power supply and as well as you keeping your system cool.

I have plenty of PSU power, I have a 550 watt 12v25a power supply.

I have a very well vented case, no history of overheating problems, and none now.
Before, another one of the same power supplies (same model) ran an AMD Dual-core 6000+ and a Geforce 8800 GTX with no problems.

Edit: Kubuntu problem seems to be separate from Windows. Kubuntu recently was in a major crash and recieved some system damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back