Windows 7 64 BSOD's

Phacoid

Goodevening all (at least it's evening here ;-))

Recently a friend of mine aqcuired a new computer, that is to say we went out and bought all the parts and put the computer together ourselves. From the start he had BSOD's. As I am aware the cause can usually be found in faulty hardware. My friend being the amateur at this I went over and did a memtest. First on both sticks together, then seperately. It turned out one of the sticks was faulty.

As these were under warranty he proceeded to use the non-faulty stick until he got both replaced. When we however got the replacement set and installed it the system wouldn't even load into Windows, instead just gave us a BSOD. All we got to see was the Windows 7 loading screen and then everything went blue on us. The system ran fine (that is actually booted up and could be used) using only stick (although it did BSOD once too, running one stick). It also booted up when we put both sticks in slot 1 & 2 (in other words, not using dual channel), but he still got BSOD's every so often.

He's been having a few BSOD's the last couple of days ever since getting new RAM. I assumed one or both sticks were faulty again but here is the weird part: we ran memtest twice and it didn't give any errors. Today we ran memtest again and it gave a tens of thousands of errors. We then proceeded to test the sticks seperately, to figure out which one was faulty, only to see both sticks complete a memtest without any errors being present!

I'm not sure what to think now. Could the RAMbanks on the motherboard be faulty? I've gone ahead and put the sticks in slots 3 & 4 which actually had the system boot up properly, we're still waiting to see if it will BSOD now too.

Meanwhile I have tried uninstalling his virusscanner as well to see if that was the problem, but the BSOD's were still there.

These are some of the stop messages:
- Page fault in non paged area (multiple times)
- Win32k.sys (once)
- Bad pool header (once)
- System service exception (multiple times)

Sometimes he'll get the BSOD at first start-up after cold-boot, sometimes when he plays a game.

To sum it up, these are the things we've tried and done:
- Memtest, came out fine four times, gave errors once but not after that anymore
- Uninstalled virusscanner
- Did a chkdsk, came back completely fine
- Tried sticking the ram in different slots as well as using only one stick

I've also gone ahead and took some of the minidumps that were on his computer, perhaps that could be of some help trying to figure out what the problem is. I just don't know anymore.

Any help would be appreciated!

Attachments

• dumps.zip
    159.8 KB · Views: 2
I would let memtest run overnight to see how it handles that.

Also, is your friends EXACT RAM and CPU listed on his motherboards support listings? Its a common cause of BSOD's in newly built computers, due to component incompatibility.

I'll leave those that know considerably more than I, to make a proper assessment of your situation.

I haven't got a list of compatible RAM but I do have the model nr.

Corsair TW3X4G1333C9A 4GB KIT (2X2GB)

Might be worth noting that the BSOD's usually happen in the morning, after the computer has been off for a long time.

I haven't got a list of compatible RAM but I do have the model nr.

Corsair TW3X4G1333C9A 4GB KIT (2X2GB)

Might be worth noting that the BSOD's usually happen in the morning, after the computer has been off for a long time.

Whats the make and model, and BIOS revision of your friends motherboard?

MSI 770-C45, don't know about the BIOS revision, would have him check it but he's already gone to bed.

The BIOS was at version 1.50, the latest is 1C. I've flashed the BIOS to the latest version using the LiveUpdate Utility. I've left the DRAM Voltage on Auto but could try to change it to a set number. I read it's supposed to run at 1.70, I've tried upping it but I'll have to choose between 1.67 or 1.71, not 1.70.

Has anyone had a chance to view the minidumps yet to figure out if anything else is wrong?

You have several different error codes which is a strong indicator of memory issues. Set your RAM to the voltage of 1.71. What are the results?

The sticks can't handle anything higher than 1.5v. We eventually managed to replace the Corsair memory with Patriot memory. All problems are gone now. It was due to an incompatibility issue.

The sticks can't handle anything higher than 1.5v. We eventually managed to replace the Corsair memory with Patriot memory. All problems are gone now. It was due to an incompatibility issue.

This happens a lot. Glad it worked out and thanks for getting back to us with the resolve.

Back