Windows 7 makes me log back in after idling

Just bought new toshiba satellite with windows 7. I turn on, have to give password. fine. but if I step away for even 5 minutes, it goes back to where I have to give password again to get to my desktop. is there way to just stay logged in until I shut down????

[FONT=Trebuchet MS]Right click on an empty space on your desktop screen. A menu should appear. Scroll down and click on the "Personalize" option. When the "Personalization" window is up, click on the "Screensaver" link -- should be near the bottom right hand corner of the window or screen. You should see the "Screensaver Settings" utility after that. Go ahead and uncheck the "On resume, display logon screen" option. Click "Apply". [/FONT]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS]The process comprising the next step varies according to how Windows is set up on a particular computer. But anyway, try going[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS] to "[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS]Control Panel[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS]".[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS]Once in the "Control Panel", select "[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS]Hardware and Sound[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS]".[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS]Click on "[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS]Power Options[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS]". [/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS]Click on the "[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS]Change settings that are currently unavailable[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS]" link. If prompted by a UAC, click Yes.[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS]Change the "[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS]Require a password on wakeup[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS]" setting to NO. Then click "[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS]OK[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS]".[/FONT]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS]Hope that helps a little. [/FONT]

On the spot Dawn1113 :)

@royal ford: I intentionally configure my systems this way as a security feature for cases where I might be called away from the keyboard. IMO, that's always necessary with a laptop (ie: me).

Thanks all for help on last question. was a snap. now another problem: do I really need linksys? it has started, when I first open computer in morning, to be primary wifi link. all it ever gets is a partial link. I close it, click on home computer site, and that gives me instant, strong computer link. why is linksys suddenly dominant and what happens if I uninstall it? I have windows 7 system and comcast cable router. thanks, royal.

do I really need linksys?
If you have more than one system trying to have Internet access - - yes. I recommend it regardless, as the features (NAT & SPI) protect you from direct access for attackes

it has started, when I first open computer in morning, to be primary wifi link. all it ever gets is a partial link.
?? what has started? The linksys is hardware and outside your PC, so as long as power is on, it is always running. What is a partial link in your mind?

I close it, click on home computer site, and that gives me instant, strong computer link.
do you mean you close the WiFi connection to the linksys?

why is linksys suddenly dominant and what happens if I uninstall it? I have windows 7 system and comcast cable router. thanks, royal.
there is nothing to uninstall for the linksys.

I think you have a setup like
  • Comcast == Linksys - - wifi - - your pc
correct me if this is wrong

I have two laptops, each on same system, that is all. it used to be that when I logged in, home share 508 opened and gave me instant access. now, linksys appears with limited link. I have to disconnect it, scroll down to homeshare and hit connect. cannot find linksys listed anywhere on my computer.

Hmm; Usually from experience, I can decode user comments into specific hardware & software, but I'm having difficulty understanding what you see, where you click, and how your system(s) are accessing the internet.
For us in networking Linksys is a brand name of Routers, Switches and Hubs and they have no software installed on your systems.

Let's start by having you post some screen shots
  • start the Program -> Accessories -> Paint program (to create the pictures)
  • get a problem you're concerned with visable
  • hold the SHIFT key while striking PRNTSCR
  • bring the Paint program to the front and paste into it (ctrl-v)
  • use File->Save As, give it a name and use the JPG format. Place it into a folder you can easily find
Now you can follow-up to this topic and attach the JPG files you wish to show me.

? home share 508 opened
? now, linksys appears with limited link
? scroll down to homeshare and hit connect

Back