Windows 7 Pro consumers will now receive end of support notifications

Humza

Staff member
Bottom line: If your Windows 7 Pro PC isn't part of an IT domain (think corporate environments), Microsoft will start sending you pop-up notifications from next month and remind you (again) to bite the bullet and plan your transition to Windows 10 (which it recommends, of course) in time for when the company's beloved old OS reaches its end of support on January 14, 2020.

Earlier this year, Microsoft had started issuing end of support notifications for Windows 7 Home users, informing them of the inevitable. The company is now extending these notifications to owners of Windows 7 Pro PCs, excluding devices "that are domain-joined as a part of an IT-managed infrastructure" said the company in an updated blog post.

Users can expect the "courtesy reminder" to appear a "handful of times" this year, and as before, the company hopes that the remaining couple of months would give Windows 7 consumers enough time to plan a transition, which Microsoft recommends should be to Windows 10 along with Office 365 for productivity, advising users of Office 2010 to upgrade their environment before the software reaches its end of support on October 13, 2020.

The importance of this announcement comes from the fact that although enterprise customers of Windows 7 can pay on a per-PC basis for extended support, many consumers have refrained from updating their Windows 7 PCs to Windows 10. While their concerns are legitimate, given the latter's reputation for patchy patches, Microsoft says that since it won't be giving technical support, software updates or issue security fixes for Windows 7 after it reaches end of support, devices using this OS run a greater risk of getting viruses or malware with continued use.

For anyone still wondering, Microsoft's stance on the matter is pretty clear by now and reflects the company's multi-year effort in informing and convincing its enormous userbase in shifting towards Windows 10, which was running over 900 million devices as of last month.

Permalink to story.

Ha it will be rather hard for Microsoft to send me anything I blocked automatic update ages ago and only install updates manually not to mention all 45+ Microsoft domains that 10 uses for spying and backdoor access to force you to update have been blocked at a firewall/router level. There is no reason your operating system should be talking to Microsoft or them back to you. All windows fan bois cry about security when its MS itself selling your data.

MS should release a few Windows 7 viruses, to scare people into upgrading. I don't know, blame Iran or something.

They already do, they call it Windows Update!

:)

Oh and perfect timing, just ordered two copies for future builds.

You can upgrade to 8.1 and modify it into the look and feel of 7, if you don't want to got to 10. You'll get 3 more years to avoid 10 or look for an alternative.

My Windows 7 machines played me some KoRn today. It was "I'm Here To Stay". Wonder what they meant...

You can upgrade to 8.1 and modify it into the look and feel of 7, if you don't want to got to 10. You'll get 3 more years to avoid 10 or look for an alternative.
Do you somehow think windows 7 is magically going to just stop working? lol dude people still run win 98 infact entire dedicated group of people in the thousands over on msfn have 98 running at win 7 functionality mostly due to it being run on old hardware... theres no need to upgrade for any reason if your win 7 is working for you. Willing to bet you the windows 7 hold outs will last another good 10 years. I also work for one of the largest universty hospitals in the country and we have lots of embedded hardware that has win 98 running on it for example our inventory control machines where an upgrade to the machine may cost the hospital upwards of 20k. Some of our old heart monitor stations the same, our xray machines the same. some of these machines will have win 98 on them till they die completely and will never be upgraded just to upgrade them its a waste of money.

Last edited:
MS should release a few Windows 7 viruses, to scare people into upgrading. I don't know, blame Iran or something.
You've probably just described how 99% of the viruses were created. I've always imagined them being created as a scare tactic for buying an AV product. A digital version of organized crime is what comes to mind.

I have win7 and turned off all updates from the beginning. If it ain't broken don't fix it.

too many problems with M$ updates.....

Win8.1 was a horrible experience for me. I had it removed from my (then) new computer and installed win7 with NO updates which I am running with NO problems.
Micro$lop is a great marketing company but poor on technical bearings....

Win8.1 was a horrible experience for me. I had it removed from my (then) new computer and installed win7 with NO updates which I am running with NO problems.
Micro$lop is a great marketing company but poor on technical bearings....
I understand. I hated it too. But it can be made to work and you won't have to be concerned about the update scheme forced upon us with Windows 10. Of course, there's Linux.

Back