Windows 7 "Which One"

Status
Not open for further replies.

RickM

Hello;
My current O.S. is "Windows Vista Home Premium"
I understand there are 4 versions of Vista
(Home Basic) ..(Home Premium)...(Business)...(Ultimate)
I understand that there is a large population of Vista Users that do not like it.
I am one of them.
I am seriously thinking of upgrading to Windows 7.

My question is :
Am I restricted to any upgrade level replacing
"Vista Home Premium" to "Windows 7 Premium"?
Or could I upgrade to Windows 7 Ultamate...or do I need to be running
"Vista Ultimate" to be capablle of upgrading to Windows 7 Ultimate?

A little confusing.... I hope I explained that correctly.
Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you;
Rick

The chart on the link above gets you started. I'd like to add that if you've been fine with Vista Home Premium features out of the box, I would simply upgrade to Windows 7 Home Premium. For 95% of the users that version is going to work wonders.

Oh yes
But if you don't mind the extra cost then go for the top Windows 7 Ultimate
Note: Backup all User Data first (as per my reason to reply)
That way you can do a clean install > Upgrade of Vista to Windows 7 (Always the best move ;))

Thank you very much superty12, Julio and kimsland the information you provided me was very helpful and appreciated.

I have been running Vista Home Premium now 11 months and I found it to be very annoying. (Frozen screens, Programs shutting down, etc. Also,I have encountered the "Blue Scrren of Death" at shutdown several times it's been a nightmare. I installed registry cleaners and system optomizers and every is fine for a few days and the headaches return.
I have heard a lot of good about Windows 7 and finally I am ready to make the move.:)
Thanks again ...
Rick

Rick, from what you just stated, a clean upgrade to Windows 7 may be best

Just be aware that Vista is still being sold with new systems, and does not fault
Obviously your system does have a fault, which may or may not even be related to Windows (ie hardware)

I'll say one thing though. If you have ever done a clean install of Windows (and I'm not saying the manufacture OS plus the quad-zillion program installs as well)
But a clean install of just Windows, your system will fly (very fast)
Generally these "optimizers" tend to slow down systems (bizarre I know) I suppose it really comes down to what you use and how many of.

I decided to go all out (about 3 months ago) and I went through and uninstalled 90% of all my programs (including optimizing and tweak tools and you name it) I couldn't believe the performance increase ;)

Hi Kimsland;
Thank you very much for the information, I appreciate it very much.
I have been building my own systems for 20+ years and was ready to build my next new machine... I got this stupid idea to purchase a laptop instead.
A (Toshiba Qosmio G50) ... I was told that Vista needed a ton of tweaks to remove all the unwanted/unneeded "BLOAT WARE"?? or similar and a system optimization with 4 restore CD's in case of system failure was suggested for system speed at the cost of $59.99. You probably have heard or are familiar with it for I purchased it at Best Buy...Circuit City was offering the same called "FireDog" or similar.
Several times at shutdown I viewed the "Blue Screen of Death"
Then I really started to wonder what was up.
I made a post trying to find out why it was happening, I was advised to run
Advanced System Care Free 3.4.0

Also, I was advised my system could be effected by "malware"
The lengthy post from the "Blue Screen of Death" can be seen at this link:
https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic133594.html

I am just getting confused and annoyed with all the lock up's, Browser shut downs locked up white faded screens and many other headaches... I was hoping Windows 7 would take care of things.
I installed Windows XP in my self built machines (No Problems at all) very good O.S. !
Any advice would be very much appreciated.
Thank you;
Rick

Hi Kimsland;
Thank you very much for all your help and information.
It is very informative and helpful.
I appreciate it very much.

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back