Windows 8 build 7989 screenshots posted, full build leaked

Emil

Staff

Update: It's been confirmed that Build 7989 has been leaked on torrent sites. If you are wondering if the new touch UI is part of the leak, it's not, so no need to even bother with this one.

Screenshots of Windows 8 build 7989 have surfaced on the BetaArchive forums (via Neowin). The full build string is "7989.winmain.110421-1825.615974c7346f7374" meaning that this build was compiled at 6:25PM on April 21, 2011.

The screenshots show a new background and boot screen, but other than it's not clear what else is new. For that, we'll have to wait to see if the build leaks out in full. That may happen, according to a user who goes by the name of Smorgan: "Will it Leak: Check back in a few days..." As always, we must emphasize that this is still very early in Windows 8's development, so try not to start forming your opinion on the OS just yet.

Windows 8 build 7850, the first leaked Windows 8 build, hit the Internet two months ago. It was quickly followed by Windows 8 Build 7955 a few weeks later. Last month, Windows Server 8 build 7959 leaked, and then everything went quiet.

A week later, Microsoft was rumored to have fired two employees for the leaks. We heard next to nothing for a month, other than the fact that the build numbers had quietly passed the 8000 mark. Personally, I'd love to see a new build (though not necessarily this one, since it's so old) but I don't want to have anyone lose their job over it.

Although a rumor suggests that Windows 8 will arrive on January 7, 2013, we expect that the operating system will ship in time for the 2012 holiday season. In fact, Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer has said Windows 8 is coming in 2012, but Microsoft quickly claimed this was a misstatement.

Permalink to story.

That's not a screenshot, it's a picture from a camera. Well, I guess you could call it a screenshot, but it's not from within the OS itself. For all we know someone just snapped this with a DSLR at a press event or something.

I reserve every right to formulate a final opinion about this software based on partial screen shot!

In fact I will uninstall Windows 7 and load up Windows Me to spite Microsoft!

gwailo247 said:
I reserve every right to formulate a final opinion about this software based on partial screen shot!

lolwut

Windows ME, really?

gwailo247 said:

Windows ME lol

example1013 said:
That's not a screenshot, it's a picture from a camera. Well, I guess you could call it a screenshot, but it's not from within the OS itself. For all we know someone just snapped this with a DSLR at a press event or something.

Did you really took the time to write an entire comment arguing over stupid, trivial semantics? And this is the first time I've heard someone say there might be a press event where pre-alpha builds of an operating system is shown to the public...

Anyway, the leak does look to be imminent. And hopefully it is imminent; it will make people realize that, besides the hybrid UI, there's nothing significantly new to make the jump. It is, indeed, too early to judge, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

OMG, how different. It is worth every penny.

*sarcams mode overheat*

Bulldozer as advertised, Windows 8, SSD's (Sata III and PCIe), X79 motherboards and CPU's... life could be good.

The full build string is "7989.winmain.110421-1825.615974c7346f7374" meaning that this build was compiled at 6:25PM on April 21, 2011.

If true, looks kind of old (April?). Mind you I usually don't pay attention to the dates.

The build is confirmed. its more of a Frankenstein build though as it has the bootloader from 7850 but it is windows 8. It has a full aero lite with transparency and it has hints of the touch ui and appx all over it

Well, here's for one:

From that badly captured 'screen shot' I can already deduce that it's better than Mac OS. Oh wait, I didn't need a screenshot to tell that.

Hey Macbro's u mad?

I am a bit confused on all the hate about this stuff. Why? I remember back when XP came out I 'got ahold' of early versions. How is that any different than now?

lawfer said:
example1013 said:

Did you really took the time to write an entire comment arguing over stupid, trivial semantics? And this is the first time I've heard someone say there might be a press event where pre-alpha builds of an operating system is shown to the public...

Anyway, the leak does look to be imminent. And hopefully it is imminent; it will make people realize that, besides the hybrid UI, there's nothing significantly new to make the jump. It is, indeed, too early to judge, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

The semantics aren't trivial. I used the fact that it wasn't an in-OS screenshot to deduce that a leak probably wasn't imminent, as there are ways of obtaining a camera picture of the screen without actually having a copy to leak.

That said, I'll eat my words, since apparently it has leaked.

jckjs1993 said:
windows os is not good enough.
Mac OS X Lion will be the OS to wait for!!!

Max OS X Lion is turning the mac one step closer into an Ipad =p As a gamer, windows 7 is amazing =p =p =p =p

Back