Windows 8 removal of Windows 7

Bxolwel

I just installed Windows 8 for my Wife we bought her CPU from a guy of Craigslist. He had two copies of Windows 7 one usable with no key and one we could not even boot. After the install The windows 7 we could enter in gone but the option for the bad W7 is still a boot option can I remove this?

Let me understand you situation a bit better:
1) You got a copy of Windows 8, installed it, but the broken copy of Windows 7 is still showing as a boot option?

2) Did you just install Windows 8 on top of Windows 7 or did you clean install it (reformat)?

I installed it over the windows 7. however she had two copies of windows 7. One is still showing.

It seems to me like it overrode one copy but not the other. I do not know how to remove the other without completely clean installing windows. That will clear all data. Are you fine with that?

Where you might have gone wrong when you installed Windows 8 the first time was you didn't delete all the partitions during the process. Early on in Windows installation you will have an opportunity to delete all the old partitions, including any old system reserved partitions, until you only have one left. Please note that a new small system reserved partition will be created automatically when you install Windows but that's okay.

It prompted only keeping or removing all files. I did select all file removed. But that is only option it gave

It was there, you must have missed the selection called "Drive options (advanced)". Under advanced options you will have access to partition tools.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows-8/ss/windows-8-clean-install-part-1_10.htm
windows-8-clean-install-10.png

The best way would be a re-install. But you could use an application such as EasyBCD to edit the boot menu options. And then delete partitions or folders that may contain older installs, through the use of Drive Management in Windows 8.

DELETE every single partition you can as per above screenshot. They should collapse into one single big one (assuming one hard drive in PC). Then proceed with the install.

Back