Windows boot up error

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hodsocks

I am hoping some of you more knowledgeable guys can make some sense of this because it has me scratching my head.
I have been working on a pc today that would not boot up because of an "Invalid system disk" error message, i ran chkdsk /r from the windows XP disk and rebooted the machine for it to load into windows, except it wanted to activate windows first. Why I can't explain as all I had done was run chkdsk, I reloaded all the software a couple of months ago and had activated windows at the same time.Since the reboot a few weeks ago it was running fine and then a couple of days ago it threw up the "invalid system disk" error.

Once windows was activated I rebooted the pc and again the "invalid system disk" appeared but I found that if I left the Xp disk in the cd-rom it would happily boot into windows. Without the disk the error message appears, with the disk it boots up OK.
Once it has booted into windows I have noticed some strange things happening, the graphics card shows an error in device manager because it can't start, its a geforce MX400 card so windows has its own drivers for it.
Also it won't access the internet. the network icon tells me its connected but when I check ip address it does not have one, if I click on the repair button it says it can't repair it. I have tried ipconfig but it just throws up error messages about being unable to find the address.
I am wondering if it needs another reboot but twice in as many months suggests a problem somewhere.
Apart from the above problems it appears to be running OK, the machine is a few years old with an Athlon 800 processor and 384MB sdram, 40gb hard drive.
I am hoping some of you guys can shed some light as to what the heck is going on here.

You really do have issues, don't you:)

Do you have any parts to swap out to test for possible hardware issues?

Thanks for the help smore :stickout: but seriously, I think the motherboard is a Jetway, so cheap and cheerful and the processor is an old slot A design and I don't have any parts as old as these lying around.
I have not been happy with this particular machine for some time as it doesn't seem to boot up smoothly or run smoothly. By that I mean it seems to run in steps ie it boots up so far and then pauses for a minute or two and then it boots a bit more, then pauses again. Often when you ask it to do something in windows it will be the same, start the program, think about it and then carry on again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back