Windows constantly freezing shortly after starting computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to do this on another computer because the computer with the problem would freeze before I finished typing this.

So I have a couple of problems, I run windows xp sp3 I know for a fact all my drivers are updated, hard drive is defragged, no registry errors ect because I run PC matic on that computer as well as diskeeper to keep everything running as smoothly as possible. First consistant problem ive had before this one was that I couldnt get the catalyst control center to ever run. Would always say windows failed to start the program so I just took out the startCCC program through msconfig a while back. Second problem is whenever I start my computer the monitor never shows anything until windows is loaded and at my desktop screen. If I try to go into bios the monitor stays blank. Third problem is now windows is freezing all the time and after it freezes I have to do a hard reboot to get it to work again. However in doing so I usually have to wait 15 minutes or so to get it to actually restart because if I try to start it back up after it freezes it never turns on the monitor. The mouse and keyboard light up but the monitor never turns on, my guess is that its possibly sitting at a screen asking me how I want to start windows since it did not shut down properly before and because my monitor is odd I do not see this and do not know which option to pick if any.Heres specs off the top of my head. I would like to try to fix this problem without wiping my hard drive if possible.

vid card radeon hd 5770
processor amd athalon x2 240 2.8 ghz
gigabyte mobo with 4 gigs of ram

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

I would just uninstall CCC and use ATI Tray Tools w/ RivaTuner on XP for starters... much less of a hassle.

If there was a problem with the motherboard BIOS I would assume that nothing would work, and that Windows wouldn't boot at all, so my best guess as to why the POST screen doesn't appear must be linked to the 5770 - or its BIOS. This theory also solidifies why your computer is freezing constantly. A graphics card with faulty vRAM or a corrupt BIOS, though unlikely, could be causing this type of problem. Or... you may need to update your motherboard's BIOS in order to support the HD5770. The ATI HD5xxx series is still relatively new, so some older hardware may not work correctly with them without being updated first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back