Windows Explorer Refresh Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jowolf359

I have noticed that my XP Home SP2 does not refresh properly. I called tech support for Microsoft and they are as lost as I am on this.

If I move or delete an item in a folder then instead of everything moving into the open space I have to click F5 to refresh Windows Explorer. Is there something that I can do to solve this?

I have an older HP 512n, 1.4gHz Celeron, with 256mb of RAM. I can't afford a new system so we are making due until we can. Please help on this.

Quick google search returned this:

Open regedit (Start > Run > regedit)

Navigate to: [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]

Find the value: "NoNetCrawling"=dword:00000001

Change it to "NoNetCrawling"=dword:00000000

Restart windows, shoudl do the trick

256mb of RAM. I can't afford a new system

Well there's lots of disable\enable refresh of icons cache, done either in registry as above, or by small scripts or regfix commands.

But

256Meg is the real issue here. You must purchase another 256Meg Ram card (actually ideally 512Meg x 2) and then throw away the possible faulty old 256Meg card

You can also test the present 256Meg card with: Memtest
Although I feel this is basically a waste of time

I do also agree that 256mb of RAM is NOT enough to run windows XP smoothly. I personally would not recommend running XP under 512mb, if possible get 1GB

RAM is dirt cheap nowadays, i would recommend upgrading it even if you fix this issue.

I dont really think lack of RAM would cause this problem, it may slow down the refresh but it wouldnt stop it altogether. Also if the RAM were faulty you would be having Blue Screen crashes etc.

Also if the RAM were faulty you would be having Blue Screen crashes etc.
N that's why Memtest exists. Ram issues aren't specific to BSOD, it can be a whole range of errors including what this fault is stated above.

Actually sometimes it's difficult to confirm if a fault is Ram or not, hence Memtest again. But, as I said, you must install more memory. Since SP3 was introduced the minimum Ram requirement is now 512Meg (minimum)

Quick google search returned this:

Open regedit (Start > Run > regedit)

Navigate to: [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]

Find the value: "NoNetCrawling"=dword:00000001

Change it to "NoNetCrawling"=dword:00000000

Restart windows, shoudl do the trick

I followed these directions and the problem persists. My motherboard will only handle 512mb RAM. I have not been able to find 2 256mb sticks that are compatible with the PC133 RAM sticks I have installed. The local CPU parts store says that I will be lucky to find anything that is not DDR2 anymore.

Memory tested out fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back