Windows File Protection

Status
Not open for further replies.
I getting this darn pop up everyday and can not figure how to get rid of it besides booting up again with the disk and going through the process of reloading.

Windows File Protection

Files that are required for Windows to run properly have been replaces by unrecognized versions. To maintain system stability, Windows must restore the original version of these file.
Insert your Windows 2000 Professional CD now.

I went through the WFP section and tweak my seetings to the following:

using gpedit.msc
Set Windows File Protectin scanning - Enabled
Hide the file scan progress window - Disabled
LImit Windows File Protection cache size - 100mb
Specify Windows File Protection cahce Location - C:\Windows\system32\dllcache

Any ideas how to fix this???

Thanks in advance.

Marty

This might sound silly, but have you tried inserting your Windows CD?

If I run the CD at that point it ask for my CD ID and goes through the whole setup mode which take 20 min. If I reboot with the disk it goes though the restore process which takes about 5 min.

Either way it''s a pain and should not have to do this everyday.

When the error pops up I just drop in below the task bar and for get about it.

Marty

You say when you have restored the system file, it is changed again next reboot?

You may want to run a virus/spyware scan.

Also, the files that MFP wants may be from a Service Pack, not the CD

I have recently gotten this popup on two computers that have SP4 and the latest hotfixes installed. Please advise how to correct the problem if the files WFP is looking for are service pack or hotfix files. Inserting the Windows CD seems to satisfy WFP, but I'm concerned that newer files installed by the service pack could be replaced erroneously. Shouldn't the service pack or hotfix install put the new files in the dll cache, and shouldn't WFP restore silently if the files are in the dll cache? :confused:

If you think the problem may have come from an update you could always try a restore and go back the day before you did the update. Though I honestly think it sounds like something is causing a problem other than an update. Don't scream virus just yet though, because normally that just isn't the case.

As Nodsu said though, I also suggest running a virus scan just in case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back