Windows installation can't detect my ide hard drive?

My old hard drive was a sata drive but it failed so I had an old ide 80gb barracuda 7200rpm drive that I wanted to install windows on but when I load the windows installation and goto custom it wont show my drive. My bios detects it its just windows . I tried using diskpart and even formating the drive to ntfs witha complete whip but still no luck .

Perhaps the hard drive's jumper setting is incorrect. Are there any other IDE devices connected on the same cable as the HDD?

For lack of a better suggestion, try setting all devices on that IDE cable to cable select.

I have ubuntu 12.04 on it right now so when I were to goto the do the install it should show up but its not I even tried this with another hard drive I have thats an 80 gb drive and it wont show up either only ubuntu will detect it I even took my hard drive and formatted it to ntfs and still nothing like I said I literally tried everything

So when you try to install Windows, in the BIOS you set it to boot from the appropriate optical drive, correct? With the Windows CD/DVD in the drive tray what happens, if anything, when it boots? What version of Windows by the way?

I set the bios to boot from my cd/dvd drive first then my hard drive.when I load the windows cd it get to were it asks me if I wanna upgrade or do a custom install so I click custom and it doesn't show any hard drive to create a partition on I use diskpart to try and format it but diskpart only shows my cd/dvd drive. I figured out what you meant by cable select and put my hard drives jumper to cable to select and that still did nothing.I am trying to install windows 7 ultimate 32-bit

Sorry, I think I misunderstood you earlier regarding your question about cable select. So using that same configuration Ubuntu will recognize the drive but not Windows setup?

Yea ubuntu is the only thing that will install. I have tried this with an 80gb ide seagate drive to and the same thing happens only ubuntu will install .And windows doesn't show the drive

From the motherboard picture earlier there were three IDE connectors. Which one is the hard drive connected to? Do you have another IDE cable to try?

If you look at the motherboard picture the blue ide port goes to my cd/dvd drive
I have my hard drive connected to one of the red ide connectors the one closes to the red sata ports

I tried what you suggested by switching the cables but it didn't want to load the drive at all only the cd/dvd drive would show.The blue port on my motherboard is for the cd/dvd drive only the two red ones are for hard drives

Is it possible the drive could be locked so I cant install windows again but it will allow ubuntu idk I just cant think of anything else that will fix my drive. Im just stumped ubuntu tells me there is only one bad sector on the drive so idk im done trying for now. Im sapposta have a 320 gb sata drive coming soon if not im gunna go buy a 1 tb drive. But thank you mailpup for your time I really appreciate all the time you spent helping me

Ubuntu must be less sensitive to imperfect hard drives than Windows. This bad sector must be the reason Windows won't install. You don't really want to use a hard drive with a bad sector. It will probably get worse later.

If you have access to another computer, perhaps you can put the hard drive in it and run check disk to try to fix it.

I think mainly your problem is that there is no ide driver that came with your windows 7 setup try having a look online for some and put them on a usb drive and then when you get to the part after where it says custom click load driver and select the file you put on your flash drive earlier hope I helped :)

Back