Windows keeps restarting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rukichu

I'm having a major issue with my computer. When I turn it on, it opens the desktop and all that, but then restarts right after. It just keeps doing that over and over. The only way I've been able to fix it was to go into safe mode and do system restore. After that, it'll load up and work just fine without restarting at all. Then, if I turn it off or restart it myself, it would do that same thing again and the process would continue. I scanned my computer for viruses and there was nothing found. I'm currently using my other computer right now. Please help!

Are you getting any Blue Screens and if so do they give you an error code and a possible driver as the cause?

How about giving us some information about your computer?

Include: Make and model
Operating System
RAM

IS this new behavior? What did you do before it began? Update? Install? Uninstall? Delete?

Then we can offer help using the correct path.

I haven't gotten any blue screens. I also didn't do anything at all before it started occurring. It was working just fine yesterday, and then when I turned it on this morning it was acting up.
This is new behavior. Its never done this weird restarting before.
It's an HP Compaq dc5750.
The operating system is Windows XP Professional
I'm not sure how to find out what the RAM is; it doesn't say on the information sticker.

**EDIT: Nevermind, I did get a blue screen just now. Should I give the details?

Include: Make and model
Operating System
RAM

Easiest way to find the basics are:
Control Panel> System> General tab:
Here are the specs> you may have upgraded at purchase time.
System: Microsoft Windows XP Pro
Version: ?
SP 2 or SP3?
Registered to: you
Hard Drive: 80 GB 7200 rpm SATA 3.0 Gb/s
Maunufactured and supported by: HP Compaq dc5750.
Processor available: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4000+ processor 2.0 GHz 2 X 512 KB L2 cache 2000 MHz front side bus
1 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
All of the speac can be found HERE if you need them.

Use the Event Viewer to see if there is an Error that corresponds to the time of the BSOD:

Start> Run> type in eventvwr
Do this on each the System and the Applications logs:

• [1]. Click to open the log>
    [2]. Look for the Error>
    [3] .Right click on the Error> Properties>
    [4]. Click on Copy button, top right, below the down arrow >
    [5]. Paste here (Ctrl V)
    [6].NOTES
    • You can ignore Warnings and Information Events.
    • If you have a recurring Error with same ID#, same Source and same Description, only one copy is needed.
    • You don't need to include the lines of code in the box below the Description, if any.
    • Please do not copy the entire Event log.

Errors are time coded. Check the computer clock at BSOD..The error code, if one, will be included in the description. You may have Errors at both the crash and the reboot times.

There is a forum here especially for the BSOD so the modurator might move your thread over there.

Okay here's the info:

Version: 2002 / 5.0
SP3
Processor available: AMD Sempron Processor 3400+
1.79 GHz 448 MB of RAM

System Events:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: MRxSmb
Event Category: None
Event ID: 8003
Date: 6/18/2009
Time: 2:30:16 PM
User: N/A
Computer: K12-D3C485BE9E8
Description:
The master browser has received a server announcement from the computer K12-B76EE14122D that believes that it is the master browser for the domain on transport NetBT_Tcpip_{351ED9F1-7F7. The master browser is stopping or an election is being forced.

Application Events:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: McLogEvent
Event Category: None
Event ID: 5022
Date: 6/18/2009
Time: 10:09:34 AM
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer: K12-D3C485BE9E8
Description:
MCSCAN32 Engine Initialisation failed. Engine returned error : 3

Both of these appeared twice.
**EDIT: The K12-B76EE14122D computer mentioned in the error log is my other computer, in case that helps.

Thanks to moderator for cleaning up the unneeded lines of code.

Recomnded fix from McAfee Community for Error ID#5022, Source: McLog Event:
Try the McAfee Virtual Technician, and see if it's able to solve this problem first:
http://mvt.mcafee.com/mvt/default.asp

If that doesn't fix it....
Assuming that you have the home products installed....

1. Uninstall all McAfee programs through "Add or Remove Programs" in Windows "Control Panel".

2. Use the MCPR tool, see this article: How to remove supported McAfee consumer products using the McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool (MCPR.exe). This will remove all McAfee remnants from your computer. (you must have Windows Vista, XP or 2000 SP4 to use this tool)

3. Launch Windows Explorer and delete all McAfee files in "Program Files" but especially in "C:\Document and Settings\<user>\Application Data" and "C:\Document and Settings\All Users\Application Data". You have to set Windows Explorer to show all hidden files and folders (Tools > Folder Options > View tab). Just delete the McAfee folders even if they are empty in all the "Application Data" folders. Can be more than one!
In Vista: C:\Program Files, C:\ProgramData and C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming

4. Reboot and re-download/reinstall your McAfee products directly from your account at the McAfee web site.
Event ID: 8003, Source : MRxSmb
Follow steps here: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;188305
The Master Browser in the description is: Computer: K12-D3C485BE9E8

Let me know if the problem is resolved or continues after doing the above.

The directions on the microsoft site weren't very clear. I'm not quite sure how to find the master browser and such. Could you please explain how I can find this out? I apologize for the trouble.
I meant to say, I don't know how to change the configuration of which computer is the master browser.

**EDIT: Alright, here's what's going on now.
It's still restarting itself, but I'm no longer getting the 8003 error messages. Instead of going through the hassle of doing safe mode and system restore, I just simply select the "last good configuration" option and it works just fine. I'm not getting any error logs at all in the event viewer. What should I do now?

It sounds more like the system has a hardware issue. You can check the Device Manager to see if there are any errors:

Start> Run> type in devmgmt.msc> OK

Look for any yellow triangles with black ! points. That is an error. Try for driver update using right click on device with error.

Alright I already cleared up the problem.
It turns out firstly, I had a few more malware files, etc. I didn't realize I had. after I cleared those up, the restarting stopped, but I was getting a "the system has recovered from a serious error" message several times.
I checked my drivers and tried updating the one for my modem, and that's what seemed to be the problem. Now the computer is working just fine.
Thank you very much for your help.

same problem but differant !!!

I have been having keyboard problems and tried to search for the problem in c0mputer set up when I exited i uswed exit and save changes.
now everytime I turn on computer I get the f8 screen and the choices but all it does iskeep going back to the the f 8 screen when i turn it off m y only choice is to do the f 10 command.

If I am nt supposed to post this way I am sorry.

deseraligears, it would be best if you copied your post and started a new thread. Reason? You said it yourself:
same problem but differant !!!
Please correct the operating system in your specs as there is no windows 2003. Maybe you meant Windows XP SP3? You should also give us the make and model. To find:
Control Panel> System> General tab>> you'll find it all there.

Please tell us specifically what your keyboard problems are. The system starting up in Safe Mode isn't a keyboard problem.

Rukichu, your problem is resolved then? If you want top make sure all the malware has been found and removed, please move over to the Virua and Malware Removal Forum and follow the steps HERE.

Yes, my problem is solved. I have triple checked and scanned everything and there's no malware found, so I think I'm good now.
Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back