Windows ME

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can imagine someone saying Windows what!!! This is an oldmachine my son uses for surfing the net. I was trying to clean out a lot of junk etc and decided to reinstall windows. I deleted through dos at C:\deltree windows. When I restarted the computer I get two messages of files missing or corrupt,
1. C:\ windows\ifshlp.sys
2. C:\windows\system\vmm32.vxd.
I have a startup disk for ME but when I get to an A:\ prompt I can get to other drives but my cd-rom drive won't read so I cannot get any further. I notice in another posting Howard has asked about reformatting his drive. Can I follow these instruction or does someone else have other solutions other than throwing the machine out and starting with a new computer. Thanks
wil.

The machine can be salvaged but you will need a working CD ROM... If you don't what to persue this course of action, Wal-Mart sells Emachines computers for under $400...

Windows Me startup disks are junk. A windows 98 boot disk is much better for this purpose. You can create one by going to:

http://www.bootdisk.com

:) If someone is using a Windows Me machine, a new Emachines won't be a shock to them... Remember, Windows Me was a crappy OS, and we all know what an Emachines is don't we

Yes Windows ME is a terrible O/S full of bugs, but I'm sure their system hardware isnt as bad as eMachines, the new eMachines I'm sure have Vista or maybe still xp which are both good but Emachines has the worest hardware and they dont last long, there computer must have pretty good hardware for still working for around an estimate 6 or 7 years old, it seems like the only thing wrong is the cd drive which you can get a basic cd drive for $20 off newegg, so in this case it would pay to buy a new cd-rom drive. Why throw out a perfectly good computer just because a $20 part. Yeah it may have Windows ME but you could use it as a spare systems or even put opensource linux on the system for free rather than throwing it out, second you shouldnt be throwing out a computer it adds to the "e-waste" issue, it could be donated as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back