Windows password problem after AVG uninstall

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwazevedo

Hi Folks,

After trying to uninstall AVG Free through the standard Add/Remove process, Windows XP now asks for a password at startup (regular logon screen). I never entered a password for this computer, so of course nothing I try entering for a password does any good. I tried the default "admin". Any clever ideas before I re-install the operating system?

Thanks.

Best,
Jerry

Boot into safe mode, under your normal user name(NOT THE ADMINISTRATOR ACCOUNT). See how HERE.

Then, try a system restore to before your problem occurred.

Regards Howard :)

Thanks for the suggestion. I couldn't use my own account because the AVG uninstall created that false password challenge, which I couldn't circumvent. However, by starting up in safe mode I could log in under the Administrator account. Then I could do a system restore, as suggested.

So I got back to the point where the system was mostly working but something in AVG was corrupt. I uninstalled AVG and wiped every AVG file from the system. When I re-started, I was back at the password challenge. (Looking back, I should have created a password for that account; then, maybe my assigned password would have worked.) So I got in under safe mode again and logged in as Administrator, but this time the system crashed with a stop error. From then on, nothing I could do would get me back into Windows. The computer goes through an endless restart loop now.

My plan now is to re-install the operating system: the ultimate sign of defeat. But we gave it a valiant try.

Best,
Jerry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back