Windows RT-based Nokia Lumia 2520 to take on the Surface 2

Scorpus

Staff member

Alongside two new six-inch Lumia smartphones, Nokia has announced their first tablet at Nokia World 2013 in Abu Dhabi. Known as the Nokia Lumia 2520, the 10.1-inch device runs Windows RT 8.1 with a range of Nokia-exclusive applications.

windows nokia lumia surface nokia tablet lumia microsoft surface windows rt lumia 2520

Specs for this tablet include a 1080p AH-IPS LCD display with 650 nits of brightness and a low-reflectance construction, a 6.7-megapixel rear camera with Zeiss optics, 4G LTE connectivity and a 2.2 GHz quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 SoC. Underneath a typical colorful Nokia body, there's an 8,000 mAh battery which can be charged from 0% to 50% in just 40 minutes.

Nokia also unveiled a $149 Power Keyboard accessory that brings an extra five hours of battery life to the tablet, plus two extra USB ports. The device itself, available in red, white, cyan and black, will cost $499 when it lands in Q4 2013 in the United States and the UK.

Interestingly, with Nokia's Devices and Services division now owned by Microsoft, the company is essentially competing with itself. Microsoft already produces the $449 Windows RT-based Surface 2, which comes with similar specs including a 10-inch 1080p display and a quad-core, albeit Tegra 4 SoC. Only time will reveal which one is a better seller for the Redmond giant.

Permalink to story.

I'm guessing they are hoping that some Nokia fans might be tempted to buy the Nokia tablet even if they hadn't really considered the MS branded Surface product. Better idea than just dumping all the R&D and other work done to bring this to market.

I knowm its wrong but when I see the price of the Accessory is the price I might expect to pay for the whole item (maybe +50%) then Its priced too high for me.
Not bad, could do well, in dog-parlors and builders Merchants. Maybe also in London Estate Agents if they can bring out a Gold Plated Bling version.

Once again, it's hard to understand the marketing logic behind this kind of product when you consider the competition out there. Paying $650 for the tablet and keyboard, running the limited RT version of the OS. While you can buy something like the T100 Transformer series from ASUS, which comes in under $400 with keyboard included, and runs full Windows 8.1. Are they hoping for an Apple-like brand loyalty type of consumer mentality towards Nokia?

Once again, it's hard to understand the marketing logic behind this kind of product when you consider the competition out there. Paying $650 for the tablet and keyboard, running the limited RT version of the OS. While you can buy something like the T100 Transformer series from ASUS, which comes in under $400 with keyboard included, and runs full Windows 8.1. Are they hoping for an Apple-like brand loyalty type of consumer mentality towards Nokia?
At&t and Verizon will be the only ones selling these and I doubt the contract price will be anywhere near $500. They will fight each other to get more people to buy these. I got a Nokia Qi charger and l920 for free 3 months after they came to market. Verizon was trying to one up them with a $150(half off) Nokia power up speakers for the L822

Lol this is a way for Microsoft to say they are out selling somebody with their tablets. Even though they own both

RT is a joke .. period

Give me some of that Bay Trial goodness!

and MS . .please finish the OS .. metro still feels like its half ***'d.. and need to go to the desktop all the time.. NOT supposed to be like this!!!! LEAVE the desktop on the DESKTOP! you *****s

Back