Windows update question

Status
Not open for further replies.

oct714

I have my windows Xp Pro SP2 configured to "Download updates for me, but let me choose when to install them". I chose this option to prevent automatic updates from installing options I do not want yet (i.e. Internet explorer 7)

Once in a while I help friends & relatives to reinstall windows, and most of them do not like IE7 either.
I can see when windows updates is downloading updates (yellow shield), but instead of giving me the opportunity to install them once finished, it just disappears once download is completed. Then when I am about to shut down the PC, it will try to install "all" downloaded updates before turning off. This would be the same as the hated "automatic updates" option.

I managed to run gpedit.msc and disable the option to install updates when turning the pc off, and also I found a way to manually install downloaded updates in C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution, but since there are around 100 updates there to be installed, it is hard to find the unwanted updates.

Does anybody know how to make windows to show the YELLOW SHIELD in the system tray so I can choose the updates I want?

Kimsland,

My posting indeed might be a little confusing.
All I wanted was finding a way to install updates, but without IE7. I succesfully updated several pc's but always avoiding IE7.
This time I downloaded SP3, expecting I would be forced to accept IE7, but for my surprise, SP3 might have installed all updates but IE7, so thanks for your help.

I just hope SP3 does not have bugs.

All the bugs are gone.
Except someone mentioned they couldn't get IE7 loaded after SP3 was loaded (which I in turn said load IE7 before SP3, the posts went on a bit)

Anyway, that may work well with you anyway. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back