Windows XP freezing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hodsocks

I went to have a look at a pc yesterday that was repeatedly freezing, sometimes in windows, sometimes during boot up. I carried out some checks on the hard drive and the memory but all passed without a problem, I then repartitioned and reformatted the hard drive and reloaded Windows XP home and other software. It appeared that everything was working fine until this morninh wjen the old freezing problem was back, it was often taking 5/6 reboots before it would finally boot into windows.
Anyone any suggestions what I should check next?

The pc has an Athlon xp 2400 processor, 1GB memory, Leadtek motherboard, 80GB IMB hard drive and is about 7 years old.

Hi

overheating is a starting point, failing PSU, mainboard component failure, faulty KB or mouse (it has been known dont laugh)

Its hard to try and be specific about freezing problems as they could be anything, you could if you have the resources start swapping out parts, if you dont then tell the customer its time to upgrade and get a new board,CPU, memory etc.

See if there is an Error that corresponds to the time of the freeze:

Start> Run> type in eventvwr

Do this on each the System and the Applications logs:

• [1]. Click to open the log>
    [2]. Look for the Error>
    [3] .Right click on the Error> Properties>
    [4]. Click on Copy button, top right, below the down arrow >
    [5]. Paste here (Ctrl V)
    [6].NOTES
  • You can ignore Warnings and Information Events.
  • If you have a recurring Error with same ID#, same Source and same Description, only one copy
    is needed.
  • You don't need to include the lines of code in the box below the Description, if any.
  • Please do not copy the entire Event log.

Errors are time coded. Check the computer clock on freeze.

This information will help troubleshoot. You have a real old one in a 7 years old system (I have one also) Chances of hardware problem are high as well as possible memory corruption.

Further to my last post I have checked temperatures and they are nice and low, about 40C, I have changed the PSU which made little difference, I am beginning to suspect mobo to be the problem because sometimes it will not boot into the BIOS, sometimes freeze when it gets to accessing the hard drive, after frequent reboots it will eventually boot into windows.

dont be quick to judge, errors like that could be symptamatic of other things failing, such as memory, IDE devices, add on cards etc....

It would be a shame to replace the board and find the error continues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back