Windows XP Home SP3 high RAM usage from taskmgr.exe

speedy45

Hi guys, for some reason on Windows XP Home SP3 32bit my taskmgr.exe uses around 400MB minimum, & this only happens when I my PC is on idle. So why is this happening to me, & my PC is fine when I use it except when my computer is on idle. Also I would like for my PC to not do this on idle, so let me know?

you're talking about taskmgr.exe as shown in the processes tab of taskmanager window ?

my xpsp3 says 4,492 Kb

on the other hand, on the performance tab, the entire memory page usage is 499Mb, and commit charge is 511464K. The latter is the total memory in use, and why page file useage is given a graph but total memory is not, I suppose is down to MS usual block-headedness.

You're not confusing one with another ?

Why is this bothering you? Is your PC displaying other odd symptoms you have not told us about? Try to post a screen-shot of the taskmanager processes tab.

Do a file search for taskmgr.exe there should be two copies, one in c:\windows\system32 and the other in prefetch. Right click the one in c:\windows\system32 and select properties. It should say (for SP3) size 135,680 bytes created 14 April 2008 13:00:00 anything else might be a hijack.

yes in the processes tab it will show taskmgr.exe & about 400MB. As for the search for taskmgr.exe, I did that & when I right click on properties & it says 132KB (135,680)
created Thursday August 29, 2002 8:00:00 AM

errrppp....for SP3 pretty much everything in \windows\system32 ought to be dated 14/04/2008 at 13:00:00 which is the 'standard' SP3 creation date. Looks as if something is pretty wrong with your SP3 install (mind you, mine is XP pro, but Home should be no different).

Hopefully someone else will tell us what date XP home SP3 should be???

Can you use windows search of system32 for all files on a specific date, creation date, including hidden files and folders, from 14/04/2008 to 14/04/2008 I get 3,643 files, and you should get something similar.

If not, you might try re-installing SP3 from a fresh download. I hesitate to recommend you do this if the PC seems fine, but supposing your system is actually still at SP1, you (a) will not be able to get security updates from MS, and (b) will be quite vulnerable. Only SP3 is still supported by MS.

OK, but please look up precautions required before installing sp3 especially backup http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717 and the possible problems are several (although most people experienced no problems). In particular, be sure to stop any and all security programs. Actually uninstall and clean up if running any Norton products.

Also there are known problems around certain HP computers with AMD processor chips, and if you have that combination there are patches available to apply first. I recommend an exhaustive google check on 'precautions required before installing sp3'.

After you finish, there are still many updates that followed in the next 3 years ! They will all be applied automatically from Windows update, but......it is a long process.

I do hope you have no problems, but so far the evidence points to a very incomplete installation if SP3 was previously attempted by you.

well I my pc was on idle since this morning on Sunday after I install SP3 so far no problems, so right now it in the taskmgr.exe 3MB.

Back