Windows XP keeps rebooting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
My friend has a serious problem with the DELL computer. He has Windows XP Professional Edition installed.
Whenever the computer starts, it gets to the Windows XP Pro logo loading screen and keeps rebooting like crazy. My friend tried to use the XP OS CD to reinstall the OS, but the hard drive is inaccessible ( in DOS, the message "path specified is not valid." In the BIOS setup, the hard drive is recognized. He couldn't even boot into Safe Mode.

I tried to use the DELL utility to scan for memory problems, and there are no problems found. Is it the SASSER virus?

I don't know what to do. Please help.

Thank you.

So when you set the boot sequence in bios to boot from cd, put the windows cd in and restart, the windows installation screen doesn't come up? You are getting an error instead of that screen?

Can you get to the screen where it shows the partition with windows on it? Did you try unplugging the HD and plugging it back in?

computernoob said:
Hi,
My friend has a serious problem with the DELL computer. He has Windows XP Professional Edition installed.
Whenever the computer starts, it gets to the Windows XP Pro logo loading screen and keeps rebooting like crazy. My friend tried to use the XP OS CD to reinstall the OS, but the hard drive is inaccessible ( in DOS, the message "path specified is not valid." In the BIOS setup, the hard drive is recognized. He couldn't even boot into Safe Mode.

I tried to use the DELL utility to scan for memory problems, and there are no problems found. Is it the SASSER virus?

I don't know what to do. Please help.

Thank you.
Hm..
When I had the same situation last time it meant my HDD was broken - I was able to restore data from only 2 partitions by plugging in my drive to other computer and my system partition became inaccessible.

I have had a continuous restart problem before and also was unable to install windows. For me the problem actually turned out to be a bad RAM module. I would try memtest on each RAM chip individually to make sure the RAM is ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back